not to beat a dead horse - food question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not to beat a dead horse - food question

Stegs is offline Junior Member

Defaultnot to beat a dead horse - food question

I have a 6 month old lab male and a 1.5 year old lab female. Both are pure labs

I had them on Iams, adult for our older one and the puppy for the younger one of course

switched them to Purina One select Lamb and rice. The dogs love it.

They both have alot more energy of Iams, but im curious about purina pro plan. Its not much more per bag, and our vet said its a great food for them

I looked into Eukanuba Labrador formula and its way more money per bag, but is it better than pro plan?

Your thoughts?

Again, my dogs love the purina one select lamb and rice now....but they eat it so fast that i dont think its enough. I follow the weight guide on the bag?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

My pup liked the Iams ok, refused the Eukanuba but loves purina one. I kept her on the purina one and as far as I can tell she seems pretty healthy and definitely energetic. She is very picky about food so it was hard finding something she would gladly eat and purina one did the trick. I would love to switch to purina pro plan but I hate to take her off a food that she loves and is fine for her to eat.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Both Pro Plan and Eukanba are good foods. Since you are already feeding a Purina product I would stick with the Pro Plan just not the shredded formulas.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Destinfam5 View Post
    My pup liked the Iams ok, refused the Eukanuba but loves purina one. I kept her on the purina one and as far as I can tell she seems pretty healthy and definitely energetic. She is very picky about food so it was hard finding something she would gladly eat and purina one did the trick. I would love to switch to purina pro plan but I hate to take her off a food that she loves and is fine for her to eat.
    If she likes the Purina One chances are good she would like the Pro Plan. Ask for some samples the next time you are in you feed store and give it a try.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

i will

I looked at pro plan savor....They have all kinds, the lady at the pet store said savor would be good for labs b/c they are bigger dogs....I planned on giving it a try and see if they like it.

I just didnt know if Eukanuba was a better food or not. My dogs love what there on so maybe i will forget Eukanuba and just stay with purina

What your dog does best on is very important, not every dog does well on every food. Find one that works, or several if you rotate foods, and stick with it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

labby is offline Senior Member

ProPlan is a great food and there's a reason the majority of Lab breeders out there feed it. I prefer it to Eukanuba.

The reason why your dogs eat so fast is because they're Labs.

Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Do not feed Savor. Savor is the Shredded variety. It's made of soy. Do the Sport (any of the 3 varieties) or Selects.

Saying that Savor is good for labs because they are a bigger dog is like saying an easy way to lose weight is to cut off your foot. Both stupid.

ok so purina pro plan sport or purina pro plan selects......do not buy the savor

pet supplies plus has a whole wall of food....they carry everything.

I will get that next time i need food and slowly switch them over

do you think i should do half of the old stuff and half the new food, or being purina i can switch them all at once

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stegs View Post

do you think i should do half of the old stuff and half the new food, or being purina i can switch them all at once
    I always do a fast switch, but then my dogs' stomachs are lined with steel. To be on the safe side, do a slow switch.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast