chicken and rice

Thread: chicken and rice

ayzguy99 is offline Junior Member

Defaultchicken and rice

Hi all,

My puppy has been having diarrhea the past couple of days. To calm his stomach, I have been feeding him just chicken and rice the last day and a half (~3 meals). I noticed that when he is on the chicken and rice, he does not poop nearly as much as when he was on dog food. Instead of 4-5 times a day, he only poop 1-2 twice a day. The poops are also considerably smaller. Is that normal? Also, how long should I keep him on chicken and rice?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

that is normal. if your puppy is a baby I would talk to a vet ASAP, rice and chicken will not be a complete diet so you don't want to do it very long. Have a sample tseted to see if there worms or parasites.

Did you change foods recently or did he get into anything before the problem started?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks. The puppy is a little over 4 months old. He did get a different food for a few days while staying at someone else's house. But we were told that he was doing fine the entire time that he was there. We gave him his normal food once he came back, but he has not been that interested in the food. (He is always a picky eater, something that we need to work on). It is also possible that he got into something while he was there. We will probably take him to the vet if the doesn't improve by tonight.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Make sure he stays on one food in the future, changing randomly like that can be hard on their bodies. If he is being watched by someone else bring his food with him and tell them he must eat only that food.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Make sure he stays on one food in the future, changing randomly like that can be hard on their bodies. If he is being watched by someone else bring his food with him and tell them he must eat only that food.

Yeah. It was unfortunate that the person that was taking care of him for those few days gave him different food. He is a really picky eater. He didn't really want to eat his usual dog food the last couple of days. I know he was hungry cause he was wolfing down the chicken and rice. Hopefully he will eat the dog food once his stomach settles down.

labby is offline Senior Member

What are you feeding your puppy and how old is it?

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    What are you feeding your puppy and how old is it?
    He is about 4 months old. I am feeding him Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Chiot, large Breed.

labby is offline Senior Member

Nutro used to be a decent food, but it isn't any longer. Can you get ProPlan puppy (Focus) there? If so, try a small bag of the Focus (not the Shredded Blend) and see how that works for you. I'm thinking your puppy is having issues with the food and that's why he's having loose stools.

Your puppy does not need a Large Breed food since Labs aren't really a large breed. It's a marketing gimmick.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    Nutro used to be a decent food, but it isn't any longer. Can you get ProPlan puppy (Focus) there? If so, try a small bag of the Focus (not the Shredded Blend) and see how that works for you. I'm thinking your puppy is having issues with the food and that's why he's having loose stools.

Your puppy does not need a Large Breed food since Labs aren't really a large breed. It's a marketing gimmick.
    Thanks. I will see what is available around here.