Heartworm?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heartworm?

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultHeartworm?

I met a few days ago a woman who was walking her dogs. She said her cat has heartworms. Do I have to be concerned (her dogs met my dog)? How often do you check for Heartworms? Do you use medicine?
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaykay is offline Senior Member

ask your vet about a heart worm preventive.. heartworms are spread through mosquitos. i would say tested every 6 months but give the preventive monthly.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Your dog should have been tested for heart worms at the rescue, and be heart worm free (or they would have told you). If heart worm free, treat monthly and depending on where you are for 6-12 months each year.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I have always given my dogs heartworm preventive year round. I doubt you'll find a mosquito in MI in Dec...but it's not that expensive, I did the math once...like $8 a month. Better safe then sorry and the heart gaurd I give Jack prevents heart worms plus round worms and hook worms. I knew a dog that had heart worms. It cost her Mom a lot of $$ to try to cure her. This was probably 20 years ago and at the time, even the expensive "cure" was a "maybe". It's just easy and cheap. Chewable tablets that Jack loves (I assume most dogs do) once a month to have one less thing to worry about.

But your question was do you have to be concerned about the neighbors animals having heart worm....I'll let someone else answer that. I don't believe it can be transferred from one to another. I think only mosquitos can give it...but I am often wrong
    Last edited by KathyArch; 07-29-2013 at 06:49 AM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Its possible for heartworm to be transmitted between dogs if they are bitten by the same mosquito, I guess. So, if a mosquito bit an infected dog and then an unprotected dog - perhaps. But it is still something you need to protect your dog from - and it's a huge problem in southern states. The number of heartworm + dogs that hit the shelters is quite high.

Your paperwork that should have come with this dog should show his HW status. It is something they test for when a dog is adopted (or deemed adoptable). Your vet should have covered all of this with you!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Your dog can only contract HW by being bitten by a mosquito.

labchris is offline Senior Member

Yes. Thanks. He is negative. I assume I have a bit time to get the preventive, then?
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Preventative is generally given every 30 days. So it really depends if and when the shelter gave him a pill (or applied it).

Did the shelter sit down with you at all? To talk over all these things?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Yes. Thanks. He is negative. I assume I have a bit time to get the preventive, then?
    No, you don't have a bit of time if they did not give him any preventative after he was tested. The process is test then treat. He needs to get his preventative ASAP.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

banshee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labchris View Post
    Good! I buy Heartgard chewable tablets at my vets (it requires a prescription, at least in NJ), and give one to Cooper on the first of every month (I have a reminder on my phone). One box is a year's supply of 12 chews. Cooper loves them. There may be cheaper alternatives to Heartgard, but not much of a difference in price.
    He's not crazy about having the flea and tick stuff applied, and I don't like the smell. But that's the second part of our monthly routine.
    "I want to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast