Red spot on front left paw
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Red spot on front left paw

labchris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRed spot on front left paw

Hey there!

I just found a red spot on his left front paw. It is between his claws. Should I be concerned? Is this an emergency? I don't want to go to the vet every day, now.

Attachment 8023
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't say it's an emergency. I don't have a lot of experience with the lumps and bumps so I'll let someone else chime in but don't rush off to the vet this minute. It does look a bit... gooey?? Is it bleeding?? Don't put anything on it like medicinal topical, but try to clean the area a bit either just pouring water on it to gently wash away any debris or saturate a cotton pad with some witch hazel and gently wipe it. Could just be the angle of the pic but it looks like some kind of open wound.

If it hurts him to the point of constantly lifting his paw or refusing to walk, then consider a drop in to the vet.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Hard to tell from the picture. Does it look like a blister or a cut? Is it swollen like a pus sack? From the picture it appears like a minor injury - may be cut himself on something while being out and about.

I would treat like any other cut: get some betadene, maybe some neosporin. Keep clean and see how it heals.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It is not bleeding. It looks like a (deep, open?) wound, though. The red that you can see on the picture is blood, but it is not bleeding. I do not even know when this happened. Though, I think he has a bit pain because he takes the paw away when I try to touch the paw. I think he is walking normal.

Also, I do not have any "wound cleaning" supplies.
    This forum is a Know-it-all forum. Post on your own risk. Beware of being preached by a group of dog owners here.

If he's not reluctant to use his foot, I'd not worry too much.

The important part is to keep it clean to prevent infection. I have used betadene with Jack in the past on minor cuts and similar injuries. I know the poster above said no meds on it, but I think betadene and some neosporin would help healing and preventing infection. When you do apply those, however, please make sure he's not licking the affected area. I bought a bunch of rubber dog booties a long time ago from a local pet store (Jack used to get pad injuries here and there). They were super cheap and there were plenty of them in the packaging. If you are worried about it - clean wound, apply meds and put on the bootie to prevent him licking the area and ingesting neosporin.

Also - you will need a good amount of wound cleaning and other basic first aid suppliers with a dog, trust me. I'm a single guy living by myself (well, with Jack), so before I had him I had little to no med supplies. When it comes to myself, it'll heal, screw it. That changed when I got Jack. haha.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

He's just going to lick off whatever you apply there, so I agree - no meds on the foot. Wash it off (regular soap and water) and leave it alone for a few days. It'll probably heal on its own. For all you know, someone at the shelter yanked a tick off between his toes and left a minor injury behind. This exact thing happened with the foster I just adopted out - she had 2 ticks between her toes and once removed the area was very pink and sore. There was no treatment necessary for that.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

So I am at the vet now. There is something in his paw. Unfortunately, emergency care.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Smiley is giving you a run for your money! Hopefully this is his last vet visit for a while. You do need to put a doggy first aid kit together though. When you have a dog you should never be without basic first aid supplies. A couple of bottles of peroxide, gauze pads, gauze rolls, tape, an ace bandage, neosporin, plain saline eye wash, tweezers, regular aspirin, Vaseline, a thermometer, benadryl, Pepcid and some liquid Pepto Bismal should be enough. If I missed anything I am sure someone will chime in, I am too lazy to get up and look in mine, lol.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Poor guy!! Keep us posted, curious what was in his paw - looked at the pic again and it kind of looks like a sliver on the right side of the wound.

100% what Tammy said. You can gather all the required tools for your kit or you can go get a basic first aid kit at a pharmacy or even a pet store. A kit would come with all the tools like bandages, tweezers, some antiseptic wipes, etc. then you can add the other stuff and the bonus is you have a neat package to hold it all. The only other thing I can think of (though I don't even have it) is charcoal... can't remember what it's for though.

As well you should likely start a little health record diary for Smiley, doesn't have to be as detailed as the vet's records, but just bullet point issues with dates so you have a running tally in case you ever have to leave him in someone else's care nothing is forgotten.

Good thoughts for him, let us know!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast