mosquito bites or allergies?

Thread: mosquito bites or allergies?

Natasha1518 is offline Member

Defaultmosquito bites or allergies?

So being a new lab mom, EVERYTHING, concerns me. So i noticed some dandruff a few weeks ago, i was like hmm ok lets see how this goes. Anyway fast forward to now, noticed a lot of scratching and some small scabs on the inside of her ears. She also likes to try to chew her feet sometimes too. I will be making a vet appointment. No troubles with appetite or hair loss that i can notice. Also noticed some irritation on the inside of her thighs. No fleas that i can tell. So mosquito bites? i too have been bitten a lot recently. I rubbed some coconut oil on her today, it pretty much immediately soothed her scratching.

Any tips or advice? She is currently eating blue buffalo large breed puppy chicken. Her poop is not as firm as i would like, so maybe switching food would help?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Sounds to be like it could be contact/environmental allergies.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil is a great topical to soothe. Itchy/scratchy, dandruff, chewing on the feet and poops that aren't firm could be food related. She may do better on a grain free formula, but as MicksMom pointed out it could be environmental as well. It's hard to tell in the summer time, though environmental would not affect poop. Is it like soft serve poop, no firmness at all? How many poops a day? The scabs in her ears could just be from her scratching. Check with your vet to get their opinion, but keep in mind on the topic of food it is not always best to follow their advice as they don't specialize in nutrition and often push products they get kickbacks from.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks! her poop is formed usually in the morning but by night its like soft serve. She currently goes 2-3 times daily

2-3 times a day is spot on, not excessive which would be a first sign that she is on the wrong food as the wrong food usually just goes right through them and comes out like soft serve. If the morning poop looks good and by night is soft serve... how many treats does she get during the day? Perhaps the treats could be causing the poop upset. Sorry, how old is she and how long have you had her?

She gets these tiny treats we get in germany called goodies. she's apron 4.5 months old. Nalas has had some health issues but has been doing better (giardia) had her about 6 weeks now

It does sound like a food issue to me, but as with anything you don't want to have knee jerk reactions (I've learned from my own experiences!) and make assumptions and bounce around fixes. As mentioned check with the vet, there could be some environmental issues that other pet owners have brought to their attention. So rule that out first.

She can move onto an adult food after she hits 5 months, so you can always hold out on this food until it's time to switch her in a few months. I would try out with a grain free formula when you do the switch to see if that helps her issues, but you do not need breed size specific formulas. It's a marketing gimmick and Labs are not large breeds, they are medium. Not sure what is available in Germany, but I feed grain free Acana, others really like Fromm, there's Earthborn Holistics, few more to choose from but perhaps start looking now so you are ready when it's time to switch and remember you will be weaning for a gradual change that could take about 2-3 weeks to avoid upset with a dog that currently already has some issues. Some dogs do fine with a quick change, but dogs with existing issues, I would stick to weaning.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Two things:

1. My boy went through similar issues. It can be either contact allergies or food allergies. Usually contact allergies if they are chewing or licking their legs excessively. Contact allergies from grass or polled would mostly depositing on the legs resulting in that.

2. Jack never had a good solid stool on Blue Buffalo. A few people around here had similar issues with BB food.

I have oatmeal dog shampoo that I use on mine when his itching becomes bad. It helps with itching, allergies and dry skin. I also mix a little bit of olive oil into his food 2-3 times a week to give his skin a bit more moisture and his coat more shine. Works pretty good - usually helps with the itching during the summer. In fact, he was going through something similar a few weeks ago; started on the olive oil and he's much better.