Toughening up Cooper's pads

Thread: Toughening up Cooper's pads

banshee is offline Senior Member

DefaultToughening up Cooper's pads

A couple of times Cooper has come home from the dog park with tiny scrapes on her pads. She pants and licks them a lot. Usually it heals quickly, but it keeps happening.

First, what should we do as first aid?There is not a lot of bleeding but she took a step last night, and my husband said she yiped and went right down. Second, is there something that will make her pads stronger?

Thanks.
    "I want to be the person my dog thinks I am."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Some time ago I had a weird thing about Jack slicing his pads. Basically he'd run full speed and come to an abrupt stop resulting in peeling the top layer of his skin off on the pad. It never bled a lot, but it was inconvenient and would leave him limping slightly for a couple of days before healing.

In my case, this stopped when we started going to a local rocky beach rather often. Like a person's hands, after exposure to more abrasive terrain his pads grew harder, tougher and more durable, if you will. Since then he's not had any issues with pads being cut of filleted, even when he runs around through sharp shale rock.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

First aid wise, keep the area clean. Just use soap and water, preferably a soap without dyes or fragrances. For open wounds be careful with antiseptic topicals as it can burn and irritate. Keep her calm after cleaning it, maybe put on some rubber booties (the balloons with the tips cut off kind) so she doesn't get dirt in there.

Agree with the above re getting more exposure to different terrains. When I got Diesel his paws were EXTREMELY sensitive! He refused to walk on pavement when it was hot enough to fry an egg on it, walked around areas that had any type of stone or gravel, etc. I didn't force him but I gradually worked him up to it and the more walks we went on the more tolerance he had and the pads toughened up on their own. I didn't have to put him on any real abrasive terrain, just regular pavement did the trick and exposure to gravel, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ahtoxa View Post
    Some time ago I had a weird thing about Jack slicing his pads. Basically he'd run full speed and come to an abrupt stop resulting in peeling the top layer of his skin off on the pad. It never bled a lot, but it was inconvenient and would leave him limping slightly for a couple of days before healing.

In my case, this stopped when we started going to a local rocky beach rather often. Like a person's hands, after exposure to more abrasive terrain his pads grew harder, tougher and more durable, if you will. Since then he's not had any issues with pads being cut of filleted, even when he runs around through sharp shale rock.
    , that EXACTLY describes what Cooper has been doing at the dog park chasing balls, running like a lunatic, and stopping abruptly. The field is grassy but I'm sure there are stones there. She is on gravel for only the short distance between our garage and the car, so I didn't think that was causing it because she is not running there. Poor thing. We've been keeping her out of the dog park for the day or two it takes the cuts to heal.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post
    First aid wise, keep the area clean. Just use soap and water, preferably a soap without dyes or fragrances. For open wounds be careful with antiseptic topicals as it can burn and irritate. Keep her calm after cleaning it, maybe put on some rubber booties (the balloons with the tips cut off kind) so she doesn't get dirt in there.

Agree with the above re getting more exposure to different terrains. When I got Diesel his paws were EXTREMELY sensitive! He refused to walk on pavement when it was hot enough to fry an egg on it, walked around areas that had any type of stone or gravel, etc. I didn't force him but I gradually worked him up to it and the more walks we went on the more tolerance he had and the pads toughened up on their own. I didn't have to put him on any real abrasive terrain, just regular pavement did the trick and exposure to gravel, etc.
    Thanks, Roxy. We washed it but didn't know whether to put Neosporin on it since she would probably lick it off. It's an awkward place to bandage so I just washed it. I think I read somewhere that the pads should not be all covered up with bandages. She looks okay today though she was panting and licking as late as last night. I will look into the booties.

Thanks for your help!

I'm relieved to hear that this is not uncommon!

Destinfam5 is offline Senior Member

More exposure definitely helps! My pup was the same way and her spoiled paws were peeled at the bottom
    Once I exposed her to sidewalks, road and other places to walk she toughened up her pads a bit and we haven't had an issue since. Before then she was mostly carried and always in the house unless it was on grass to use the bathroom. I felt awful and she started walking a lot more, lol.

ahtoxa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    , that EXACTLY describes what Cooper has been doing at the dog park chasing balls, running like a lunatic, and stopping abruptly. The field is grassy but I'm sure there are stones there. She is on gravel for only the short distance between our garage and the car, so I didn't think that was causing it because she is not running there. Poor thing. We've been keeping her out of the dog park for the day or two it takes the cuts to heal.
    Thank you very much!
    My instances also often happened at the dog park. the dirt is very compacted and grass is short. That makes for very hard surface when he's running full speed and then throws out the anchors. With Jack, it used to happen only with the front paws, so I was quite sure of what was causing it.

Thanks, Destinfam5 and Ahtoxa. We took her to the park yesterday and the ground was covered with wood mulch (probably from all the trees we lost to Superstorm Sandy. We didn't bring the ball launcher and just let her run when she wanted with the other dogs.