Chocolate female nose turned pinkthis summer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chocolate female nose turned pinkthis summer

lynnebern is offline Junior Member

DefaultChocolate female nose turned pinkthis summer

Hello,
    I took my 1 1/2 year old girl out on the lake fishing this summer. About a day later, I noticed that her nose was losing color. The change has since stopped leaving the top of her nose pink and the underside of each nostil.
    I took her to the vet and heard all kinds of diagnois. Vitaligo, snow nose(In summer?), Dudley Nose, Lupus(although she doubted that one) and finally, "sometimes it happens and we just don't know why". The vet did put her on Omegas
    She got an exam and everything was normal. Nothing has changed with her. Eating, drinking, playing all the same. No skin color change else where. No hair lose except, it is summer and I suspect some of that. Neither of her parents have this condition.
    Anyone have any ideas.
    Did her nose get a sunburn in the boat?
    Will it change back? It's been a week and there has been no change.
    While it was changing, I did notice a think line across the back of her nose almost like a moist scab that brushed away like it was healing, but almost unnoticeable. No swelling, itching or red.
    I like her name as Abby, but may have to change it to Rudolph.
    Thank you very much
    Lynne
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I have no idea. But she sure is cute. Poor baby. I have heard of noses getting sunburned, but don't know anything about it.

banshee is offline Senior Member

I don't know either. My girls started with mostly black noses that turned liver/pink in time. It was a slow change over time. It didn't bother them. I just assumed their noses were the color they were meant to be.
    "I want to be the person my dog thinks I am."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. The picture doesn't do her justice. Great girl. Fantatic with kids, swims like a fish and loves people. She's my fifth Lab. They're the best.
    The change in nose color seems to have impact on her life what so ever. Hoping against hope that it changes back. Vet said there was a chance.
    I need to find a good sun screen that's absorbed into the skin and will not wash off. The attached picture is the day before the nose changed color.Tim and Abby.jpg

nicole is offline Senior Member

Yes, unfortunately I'm very familiar with this.... I have a Puzzle, the pink nosed reindeer

It's not going to come back, but it "should" be limited to her nose. If she's like my Puzzle, the top may "crust" and then peel off over and over. Sun screen is important (we use baby sunscreen) and if it's crusty, we use a moisturizer made for buldogs called nose butter. I did two biopsies, one came back vitiligo and the other came back discoid lupus.... it's probably somewhere in the middle and actually, there's now a gene test you can do to see if your dogs carry the trait available in europe.

Feel free to yell if I can be of any help!

Well well well, I kind of thought that. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but probably right. I;m not going to yell. I'll just be in denial and pretend it was from sunburn. LOL. Our son now calls her Pinkie and she has started to answer to Rudolph. She's seems perfectly happy about the whole thing.
    Just have to remember the sun screen.
    Thanks

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

You CAN try making sure you have no plastic in the house. No plastic bowls, buckets or toys. Some dogs will have an allergic reaction to plastic which will make their pigment disappear....and if this is the case, the pigment WILL come back. But it very well could be either of the diseases Nicole mentioned, and the pigment will NOT come back.

And just an FYI...Chocolates do not get snow nose and only Yellow labs with chocolate pigmentation are Dudleys.

banshee is offline Senior Member

Wow. I never knew that they had sunscreen for dogs, or that plastic could cause some dogs to at least temporarily lose pigmentation.

I would like to see a Dudley up close and personal. I saw a photo of one and it had a really interesting look. I read that Dudleys were rare, though.
    "I want to be the person my dog thinks I am."

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I read that Dudleys were rare, though.
    Not hardly. They are common enough.

Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Dudleys are hardly rare. Only in so much that reputable breeders try not to produce them as they cannot be shown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast