How Do I Get Phoenix To Eat?!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Get Phoenix To Eat?!

CobiHue is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow Do I Get Phoenix To Eat?!

So my almost seven week old pup has been a very finicky eater. I have her on the same exact food that the breeder had her on (Taste of The Wild) and have been mixing wet food in with it to encourage her to eat. It is a fight to get her to eat it though! We have tried samples of different foods as well and she has just been turning up her nose. She drinks plenty of water and isn't skinny, but I am worried about this. What can I do to encourage her to eat? Thanks in advance!

Oh, I have also soaked the food to make it softer in case the problem was just how hard the food was. I am at a total loss right now!

Edited to add: She has a vet appointment coming up to get her second set of shots so I will be speaking with the vet about it, just wondering if anyone has advice!
    Last edited by CobiHue; 07-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.
    Owned by Parkdale's Phoenix Rising aka Phoenix
    Forever missing you Blue Boy George

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Wow, she is young! I did not realize your breeder had allowed her to leave before 8 weeks.

I wish I had a suggestion for you, I have one picky eater and one that inhales his food, the picky eater us soooo frustrating. It is not a good idea to start on the food change rollercoaster, especially with such a young puppy. My vet says they will not starve themself but I understand your frustration. Emma will be 7 tomorrow and grew up just fine despite her ability to turn her nose up at her food more often than eating it. Having another dog does seem to motivate her and one of my cats is always sticking his nose in her bowl which will prompt her to eat just to keep it away from them.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Wow, she is young! I did not realize your breeder had allowed her to leave before 8 weeks.

I wish I had a suggestion for you, I have one picky eater and one that inhales his food, the picky eater us soooo frustrating. It is not a good idea to start on the food change rollercoaster, especially with such a young puppy. My vet says they will not starve themself but I understand your frustration. Emma will be 7 tomorrow and grew up just fine despite her ability to turn her nose up at her food more often than eating it. Having another dog does seem to motivate her and one of my cats is always sticking his nose in her bowl which will prompt her to eat just to keep it away from them.
    The only reason the breeder let her go so early was due to the fact that she will start her life as first and foremost my service dog. It is suggested by trainers in this area that they go home earlier than 8 weeks

Could part of the problem be the fact that I am allowing her to chew on beef bones during the day to curb her chewing activities? Should I only put the food out at certain times of the day rather than having her daily amount of food left out and me putting wet food in there at certain times?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I definitely do not believe in free feeding a dog, especially a Lab. A puppy that young should eat 3 meals daily put out at specific times and picked up after 10 or so minutes. It may really help if she does nor have food available all the time. I have never given marrow bones that young, I am not sure if that is part if the problem or not. Are you giving them to her with the marrow in them? Marrow is very rich and enough of it could possibly affect how much she is eating.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

I definitely do not believe in free feeding a dog, especially a Lab. A puppy that young should eat 3 meals daily put out at specific times and picked up after 10 or so minutes. It may really help if she does nor have food available all the time. I have never given marrow bones that young, I am not sure if that is part if the problem or not. Are you giving them to her with the marrow in them? Marrow is very rich and enough of it could possibly affect how much she is eating.
    The bones are definitely not the ones with marrow in them. They are just cooked beef bones for teething and chewing I have always free fed and have found that my dogs that were free fed vs structurally fed had less gastric issues. She is only around the food when supervised and right now only "offered" and encouraged to eat x amounts of times of a day. It has been very frustrating!!!

I will try to start out for her only getting food at certain times of the day to see if that helps though
    Last edited by CobiHue; 07-25-2013 at 11:25 PM.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CobiHue View Post
    The bones are definitely not the ones with marrow in them. They are just cooked beef bones for teething and chewing I have always free fed and have found that my dogs that were free fed vs structurally fed had less gastric issues. She is only around the food when supervised and right now only "offered" and encouraged to eat x amounts of times of a day. It has been very frustrating!!!
    I was told and read NEVER to let dogs eat cooked bones, because they splinter. We have always given our dogs raw bones. I am by no means an expert on dogs, or bones, just letting you know what I have heard and read.

J.R. and June

I would stay away from cooked bones, they become brittle and can cause a choking or an obstruction very easily.
    Maybe you could try offering the food 3 x's daily and see if it helps. If I free fed any Lab I have ever had the food would have been gone right away and they would have been starving by lunch time or possibly suffering from being bloated. I have never had any gastrointestinal issues with feeding 3 x's daily until 5 months then 2 x's daily thereafter.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.&JNE View Post
    I was told and read NEVER to let dogs eat cooked bones, because they splinter. We have always given our dogs raw bones. I am by no means an expert on dogs, or bones, just letting you know what I have heard and read.
    My vet told me that the beef knuckles are fine cooked, I prefer raw but they didn't have any today at the butcher shop

I would stay away from cooked bones, they become brittle and can cause a choking or an obstruction very easily.
    Maybe you could try offering the food 3 x's daily and see if it helps. If I free fed any Lab I have ever had the food would have been gone right away and they would have been starving by lunch time or possibly suffering from being bloated. I have never had any gastrointestinal issues with feeding 3 x's daily until 5 months then 2 x's daily thereafter.
    Like I said above the vet said that the knuckle bones were fine cooked

I have always free fed my labs and as long as I had them since they were a puppy they only eat until they are full and self manage their food and such. My vet high recommends it as well, as long as it is managed and you are careful in how you do it

Your vet is wrong, cooked bones splinter easily and are not good for dogs. The older Pheonix gets the easier it will be for her to chew the bone in to pieces and that can be extremely dangerous. Of course you can do as you please, I have no doubt your vet will graciously cash your check if you have to pay for an obstruction surgery. I am not trying to be rude,
    just offering my two cents. The ultimate decision rests with you.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast