Does anyone have any experience with glaucoma? Piper is 10 and on Saturday had a very inflamed eye. Our regular vet saw her that day and eventually got things under control, but after seeing the specialist today the pressure on the eye is the 40's. We go back in two weeks to see if the medication reduced the pressure - if it doesn't the vet is recommending removing the eye.
Ironically this is the same eye she a growth laser off of last year (likely not related) but back then one more drastic option was to just remove the ey then. I know hidndsight is 20/20 but I feel terrible for potentially putting her through eye surgery twice and ending up with the original outcome.
It's going to be a rough two weeks of trying to get 3 different sets of eye drops in a very fidgety dog!
One of our members, Kim, knows a lot about this. Her Sam had an eye removed and did well. I haven't seen her on here for awhile. I am friends with her on FB. I will pm her & ask her to check in here. Good thoughts for Piper.
* I did send Kim a pm.
Last edited by georgie; 07-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Two weeks seems a long time between check ups given the seriousness of the condition. If you notice any change no matter how minor especially any leakage from that eye, you need to get her back to the vet or specialist immediately.
My Pug had glaucoma when I adopted him. I didn't know it at the time. I just thought he had an eye infection so took him to the vet the next day. That's when I got the bad news. I came home with eye ointment, drops, antibiotics & painkillers. After 5 days, I had to get his eye removed because the pressure built up so quick, the eye burst. The vet told me the pain he was in was like our worst migraine x 10.Don't beat yourself up over it. None of us have crystal balls. We can't predict what will happen months or years later. It's just one of those unfortunate things. I felt like a complete bastard when I took Buzz in to get that eye removed but I knew I had no choice & ultimately it was the best thing for the dog. The good news is he lives a normal happy life despite only having about 40% vision in his remaining eye.Ironically this is the same eye she a growth laser off of last year (likely not related) but back then one more drastic option was to just remove the ey then. I know hidndsight is 20/20 but I feel terrible for potentially putting her through eye surgery twice and ending up with the original outcome.
I hope you can get yours under control without having to remove the eye but if it has to come out, you'll be surprised how they can still live a normal life with one eye. Good luck. Please keep us posted.
(thanks georgie for directing me to this!)
Garth gave you some great advice! (hi Garth!)
My Sammy developed glaucoma when he was 3. I actually didn't even think anything was wrong with his eye, we went in to get his ear checked. The new vet noticed right away that something was off in his one eye. Tested immediately for glaucoma and was right. Started him on moderate strength drops right away and scheduled for a specialist appt. the following week.
Specialist basically told me Sam's glaucoma was due to a lack of "drainage holes" in the eye (if you think of it like a kitchen drain) for the fluid to go through. She started him on a strong eye drop medication (3x/day) to help relieve the pressure. Told me this was just to control the progression, it was not a cure. She also told me then there was a good chance he would lose the eye as his seemed to be progressing quickly.
We also started watching for signs of pain. Rubbing his head/face against things was the biggest indicator of that. He started showing signs of pain 1 week into the medication. Vet started him on metacam (anti-inflammatory) to help with some of the pain. Also recommended weekly checkups as the glaucoma seemed to be progressing. Sam got really good at using his "3rd eyelid" to keep them from measuring the pressure. He still hates things near his eye....
We went through this routine for 4 months (that God for our vet who was incredibly kind and only charged me for the tonomotry 2/month and never for the checkup...saved me so much money). After 4 months, Sam was just in too much pain for me to consider continuing with the drops and leaving the eye any longer. It was almost 3x the size as his other eye and completely blind by that point. He had surgery to remove it (which he didn't do well in - that's another story) and now, he's 11. Aside from the initial period of him getting used to the one eye - he does SO well. You'd barely know he was a pirate!I completely agree with Garth here. 2 weeks is too long to wait to re-check the pressure. It should be a week, maximum. Do not wait 2 weeks to get her checked and watch her carefully. Glaucoma is serious and very very painful. It needs to be monitored. Honestly, if your pup is suffering because of it - the surgery is the best thing you can do for them. You really will be surprised at how fast they recover and learn to adapt.Two weeks seems a long time between check ups given the seriousness of the condition. If you notice any change no matter how minor especially any leakage from that eye, you need to get her back to the vet or specialist immediately.
Please keep us updated - I will definitely be checking back! Also, feel free to PM
Kim & Crew
Beautiful BC, Canada
JL Member since July 1, 2002
Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.
Hi Kim! Where have you been?
Sorry ............ hijack.
Thanks Kim & Garth. And this is why this site is so wonderful, people willing to share their knowledge and experiences with others.
The 2 weeks was what my specialist asked for - but now I am a bit concerned, maybe I'll call back and push for something earlier. She was given some pain medication and I will keep an eye on her. Prior to this happening on Saturday I had no indications - so at least I feel better that I didn't ignore or miss anything. So far she is not trying to rub it or anything, but I do know they hide pain well.
After having an evening to digest everything and coming to terms that removing the eye just might be the best option. That way I won't have to worry about watching for another attack and her being in pain. I also read that it is recommended she wear a halter lead as pressure for a neck leash can bring on an attack. She walks well, but can be a bit of a puller if something peaks her interest. I'd hate to have to put her through a surgery in a year or two when she is that much older.
Thankfully the vet feels it is secondary and not primary, so he is not overly worried that it will appear in the second eye (although I do know that is a potential riks) - but I can only worry about one thing for now!
Again, I appreciate the time everyone has taken and I will update again and share how we make out.
Please let us know how Piper is doing.
My Harvey has glaucoma. We don't know how long he'd had it before we got him, but his opthamologist thinks it was awhile. Both of his eyes are larger than normal due to the pressure stretching his eyeball. He also had juvenile cataracts, which we had removed 2 years ago. He was almost completely blind and now sees fairly well, though his vision is not 100%. His eye pressure is under control and has been in the normal range since we started him on medication. A pressure reading in the 40s is VERY high and must be quite painful. At Harvey's very first appointment, his pressure in both eyes was in the 20s. He was started on 2 different eye drops, 3x a day, and at the next check, it had dropped to the high end of the normal range. He is now down to one medication, 1 drop per eye every other day. So he has responded well.
If your dog has to lose the eye, she will do fine. We have had several dogs in my rescue that have had to lose an eye and they adapt remarkably well. I hope your dog feels better soon and good luck with whatever treatment you decide on!
Just to give you idea how quick things can change with glaucoma, this is a rough timeline of what happened to Buzz. I got him from the Pug rescue on a Sunday. His eye looked like this:
A better shot:
That's when I took him to the vet (Monday). The vet diagnosed it immediately & told me there was a 90% chance he would lose the eye. The gunk in his right eye wasn't glaucoma but an unrelated problem that needs daily meds for the rest of his life. Note the film over his eye & leakage above his lower eyelid.
This was Thursday afternoon. I came home from work to this & rushed him straight to the vet:
The vet told me the eye had burst. He gave him a pain injection & sedative to get him through the night (it was right on closing time).