beef marrow bones...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beef marrow bones...

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

Defaultbeef marrow bones...

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and couldn't find anything that answered this question.

Webster is a year old and just about every night I give him a frozen raw marrow bone to chew on. I scrape out the marrow from the middle as it doesn't agree with his stomach. So he is left with the bone and a little bit of the raw meat around the outside. He normally chews on the bone for a good hour sometimes longer depending on the size of the bone. They are usually small like maybe 2-3" in length but sometimes they can be a little bigger depending on what the butcher has. Is it bad to give him one a day? He enjoys them, but I don't want to cause any long term side effects with his teeth.
    Does anyone else give their dog marrow bones frequently? if so have you ever had any problems?

I can be a paranoid new mom at times!

Thanks!

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Interesting question. I don't give Bauer a new one every day, but he does chew on them every night. He has a whole basket full of marrow bones, and he gets one out every night to chew on. He has been doing this for 4 years with no problems (he is now 5.5 years old and his teeth are pearly white). I give him a new one about once a week, but he is fine with the marrow so I don't scrape it out.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I give 1 or 2 new per week. The marrow does not bother my 2 either. Since you are not feeding the marrow I can't imagine it would be too much for your dog. I will caution you to have your butcher cut them a bit larger, one if the forum members had to take their dog to the e-vet recently when a bone got caught on her dog's lower jaw. My 2 lost a good part of their collection when this happened, it was something I did not want to worry about.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Probably the only problem giving your dogs bones will cause is that your vet won't make money off of teeth cleaning.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBrown View Post
    Probably the only problem giving your dogs bones will cause is that your vet won't make money off of teeth cleaning.
    I had slab fractures when I gave bones. I've since switched to only Nylabones and *knock wood* haven't had a slab fracture in awhile.

Laura

citronella is offline Senior Member

I don't give my dogs the round marrow bones anymore. Benny (rip) my beagles was chewing on one and it went around his bottom jaw and we couldn't lift it out anymore so we had to take him to the vet to have it sawed off. I don't think I was the only one this happened to.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Mandi_S is offline Junior Member

I read so many opinions on this and as much as I want to give my dogs bones, I'm too scared to. I do however, give them raw chicken necks that are about 80% frozen, they love them. They are an outside only treat too cause they are quite slimy and gross when they thaw.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

I have a bone box that my dog can take bones out of and chew whenever she wants. I throw away any bones that I think that might be a swallow hazard. She gets new bones sporadically. She is just coming up on 3 and the vet says her teeth are greet. I get the beef shank bones (marrow bones) that are cut length wise. I tend to stay away from the rounds because she gets them stuck on her lower jaw (like others have written).

Mdavis12878 is offline Member

Thank you everyone for the responses. Webster does have pearly whites and the vet is happy with that.

I didnt even think about the bones getting stuck on his lower jaw! I went home and checked all the ones in the freezer and most of the holes are pretty small and I threw away the ones that could get stuck. So thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I may limit them a bit more and give it to him once of twice a week and I will try to get him to take interest in something else. He seems to have no interest in the Nylabones, is there one that is better than the other? He had some when he was a puppy and never touched them so I ended up donating them to the local animal shelter.

Thanks again for the input!

Webster 6/8/2012

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

There is a meat store near where I live. What do I ask for to Jack an appropriate safe bone? Just "marrow bone" or something specific. Sorry if this is dumb, but I've heard so many different things. We've been buying him the "knuckle bones" that come wrapped in plastic at the local Family Farm store and he has them for a couple hours then he starts breaking pieces off them and I take them away, concerned he'll hurt himself with the large pieces. I did get him a "rib" also wrapped in plastic at the same store that he had for about a week before he started breaking off pieces. Also, please someone clear up the chicken bone thing. I have always heard dogs should not be allowed chicken bones, yet I hear a lot of responsable owners saying they give chicken necks, backs....are some chicken bones OK and others not? Again, forgive my general lack of bone knowledge, I'm very paranoid when it comes to Jack. I just don't want to give him something he may get hurt on. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast