Treats Options - Healthy or not?

Thread: Treats Options - Healthy or not?

TeamBerger is offline Junior Member

DefaultTreats Options - Healthy or not?

I am super careful about what I feed Murphy as in the past he had some stomach issues possibly tied to allergies. As he got older his food allergies appear to have calmed down except for several items which we never feed him (apples, etc). Murphy eats Acana Pacifica dog food which I order from Petflow and get it delivered. They have this monthly program called Spoiled Rotten where for like $20 or something around there they send out a box every month filled with different toys, treats, and grooming products. At first I thought it was a good idea but I am starting to question whether I should even feed some of the treats I have stockpiled from the deliveries to Murphy. Can I have an opinion on whether people feed their dogs the following:

Beef Ear Chews (Merrick)
    Butcher Bone - Smoked & Cooked Ham Bone (Savory Prime)

While I am sure they would not send something terrible for a dog, i am just more caustious and want to make sure these treats (and other similar treats) are OK. I have always fed Murphy bully sticks as a high valued treat only when I was able to supervise but never fed him pigs ears, hooves, etc. Just curious on everyone's thoughts. Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't feed my dogs any hooves, ears or rawhide. A ham bone that is cooked could very well be too hard for a dog's teeth - not something I would feed either.

I only use really tiny Mother Hubbard bones (the ones sized for toys). And they don't get many of those a day. For chewing, they have Nylabones.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks! Glad I went with my gut and just gave them away. I am happy you brought up Nylabones since I have a follow up question. When Murphy was a puppy and teething he would chew on the Nylabones that were for puppies so they were a bit softer and he could easily work through one. As he got older we moved him to the stronger Nylabones which he immediately did not like. It most likely is just because Murphy is not a big chewer but I am curious what Nylabones you buy for your dogs. If is not truly edible or not a tennis ball, Murphy is not interested so Nylabones weren't a big hit but I would love to find something that he will chew (besides a bully stick) to help with his teeth and gums.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Why not give him a raw marrow bone to chew?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Why not give him a raw marrow bone to chew?
    Ditto. We give ours a raw marrow bone every once in a while. The LOVE them and they seem to really clean their teeth.
    We also give them some small raw hides with chicken wrapped around them. Always while being supervised.

J.R. and June

Thanks for the advice. I have always wanted to give him a marrow bone but never wanted to give him a raw bone in the house. Next time I go to the store I will pick a couple up for him as an outside treat.