7 year old black lab smells horrible!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 year old black lab smells horrible!

danknox22 is offline Junior Member

Default7 year old black lab smells horrible!

I have my 7 year old black lab "max". Just in the past two years I have noticed only in the summertime my dog smells sour. My wife takes him to the groomer to get a good bath and it does nothing. We took him to our vet and he told us that it may be allergies and gave him a shot. The first time he received the shot it worked great. We took him to the groomer after the vet and he was good to go after that for about 3 months. He is a very big swimmer and loves to swim in the pond almost everyday. Now we just gave him another shot and it did not even change his smell. If anyone has any ideas please let me know I would appreciate it so much and my wife our house smells bad!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ok wow - the vet gave him a shot based on SMELL? no other symptoms? no hair loss? itchiness? Issues with ears?

If he smells in the summer when he swims in the pond and no other time of the year, then it's probably due to the pond. Rinse him off after swimming in there with water.

If there are no other signs of allergy and it only happens in the summer I would assume it is NOT allergies. If there ARE other signs of allergies then maybe environmental allergies (seasonal).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

He itched a little but nothing major. I have been reading about yeast infections on dogs? I do wash him off afterwards but nothing seems to work?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Excessive bathing can cause a Lab to be smellier (I know, not intuitive but true).

After he swims, I would hose him off and then spray him down with a solution of Listerine and plain water. No baths for quite some time. Mine have not had a bath in a year and smell fine and are not dirty. Bathing a Lab really screws up the oils in their coat.

Also - check the bedding he uses. If his bed is not cleaned regularly that smell can transfer back to the dog easily.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Ok I'll definitely try the bedding thing also

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

And his ears are OK? An ear infection can smell pretty punky.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

agree - if it's his ears then you need to get them treated.

also - our family dog used to swim in the lake at the cottage often and wore a regular collar. which STANK. I mean it was horrible. So check if the collar is the cause of the stench.

And agree that if you bath too often with soap you strip the coat of it's protective oils and thus makes the dog stinkier.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I've noticed more "summer smell" as my Vet calls it these last three hot and humid summers. I have a dog with seasonal allergies. I rinse him off after an outing no matter where we went or what he got into but the smell grows. And rinsing alone does not take the stuff off his coat, it begins to get a feel on it of dirt or something. So I am actually bathing more this year with a medicated shampoo and it helps the itchies and the smell, does not seem to hurt his coat or skin. It's the 5th shampoo I've tried for itchies before I got one that helps. And I tried one that made him dramatically worse. So far I am bathing every 2 or 3 weeks.

There's no guarantee what helps my dog will help yours. Especially since I had good reports on the other ones I tried and they didn't help or made him worse. So, while I agree that regular and too frequent bathing for no reason other than to bathe is not good, if you have a persistent odour or skin condition it is worth while checking with your Vet to see if a medicated or gentle shampoo is warranted.

Oh, and a key point is that you dry your dog. Don't let him lie around wet. Hot, humid skin is likely what is providing a haven for bacterial over growth in the first place. Maybe.

And that reminds me. I read on a board that show people wipe their dogs down with Listerine mouthwash, the original brownish one, diluted, to clean, spiff up and shine a coat. They insist it must be the original but I have found the new anti-microbial ones, diluted, help clean and deodourize in a pinch and I have noticed no adverse skin or coat problems.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

In addition to all the great suggestions you've already gotten, check his collar. Seriously, a couple of years ago I was going crazy because no matter what I did Caleb's "ears" still smelled. Turned out is was his collar smelling from all the time he spends in his pool, playing with the hose or swimming. He now wears a biothane collar all summer.

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Ditto the stinky collar,

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast