My labrador is not growing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My labrador is not growing.

Mohit17 is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy labrador is not growing.

My Labrador is of five months old and his weight is (15 kgs)33 lbs but his head size is not growing. his parents are huge and well build but my lab is not growing yet. food we give is royal canin. but he is not growing...help?
    i have attached a pic.

I give him drools. 1.5 cup,three times a day and eggs, rice, vegetables and chicken.
    and i am from India.
    My vet says he will cover up his weight in this on going month means his sixth month. please tell me is he pure breed? pure Labrador.
    And exactly whats wrong with his body size? when the size will grow?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Is he very active? Do you have a picture of him standing so we can get a better view of his body? It's difficult to tell whether or not he is underweight. Do you have a picture of his parents? Some lines are slower to mature than others. Is he from show lines or field? Puppies go through a lot of awkward phases as they grow.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I don't think he is terribly small and some lines do mature slower than others. As for being pure bred, I am not quite sure. Something about his ears make me wonder, a better quality picture would be helpful. (Without the shirt!) He is definitely cute!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

sorry but he doesn't look Labrador at all to me.

Laura

Natasha1518 is offline Member

He's a cutie. However be doesn't look lab to me either! Im not an expert though. He's us lovely though!

Lukesmommy is offline Junior Member

I see the Lab in him, but I do not think he's purebred. He looks like a lab mix and that's probably why he's smaller than you would expect at his age. He's adorable though! And if your vet says his weight is OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mohit17 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
    Is he very active? Do you have a picture of him standing so we can get a better view of his body? It's difficult to tell whether or not he is underweight. Do you have a picture of his parents? Some lines are slower to mature than others. Is he from show lines or field? Puppies go through a lot of awkward phases as they grow.
    He is very active. i have uploaded the video of him on you tube. performing basics and advanced tricks. here is the link.. five months old Labrador performing basics - YouTube
    o have the picture.. recent picture i am attaching and also i am attaching the picture when he was of one month old.
    i don't have picture of his parents but i have seen them, they both are huge,well build.. fantastic i would say..
    he is not pure..i mean 100% pure,because here in India we hardly get 100% pure Labradors,but i have seen his parents so i am puzzled that why not my Labrador is growing?
    his weight is growing 1.5 kgs in eight days. now today he is of 16 kgs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

He definitely does not look Lab in the current picture. As for not growing properly, it would probably be best to consult a vet if you are concerned.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Definitely does not look 100% Lab to me. Does his size concern you because of health or aesthetic reasons? He is a beautiful dog regardless. Give him time to grow, dogs continue to grow up to about 18 months.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know that you can really expect every pup in a litter to looks like its parents.... Labby? Someone else? Reason I say this is Diesel is very small compared to his parents & littermates so I don't think it is something that is really a guarantee as much as it is a possibility.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Dawg View Post

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know that you can really expect every pup in a litter to looks like its parents.... Labby? Someone else? Reason I say this is Diesel is very small compared to his parents & littermates so I don't think it is something that is really a guarantee as much as it is a possibility.
    Depends. If it's a well thought out breeding, then every puppy should more or less look like the rest of the litter and its parents. However, what you feed, when you de-sex and how to raise that puppy will depend on whether or not it resembles it's littermates/parents. One of the reasons why I am so strict on how I want my puppies raised. Quite honestly, if a puppy owner doesn't follow my guidelines on what to feed, when to de-sex and how to raise that puppy, it can turn out to be quite a detriment to me. People see this maybe gangly, puppy with no bone, no body and no head and say "eek, that's what she breeds? I don't want a puppy from her."

Back when I had puppy reunions, I could tell immediately those people who raised the puppy the way I told them to and those who did not.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast