I don't know what to do..

Thread: I don't know what to do..

paws0804 is offline Junior Member

DefaultI don't know what to do..

Grace had surgery to remove a lump on June 20th. It turned out to be a mass cell tumor, stage 2. He also removed five lipomas underneath it. The lipomas came back negative for any tumor cells. We got a chest xray done and it looks good. The vet said we had the option of doing a high dose of prednisone for two months. It may or may not prevent the occurrence of any others. He said to wait to start it because it can delay healing. I don't know what to do. I feel like i'm being a bad mom for not giving it to her, but at the same time, I don't know if she actually needs it. The vet got all of the tumor, although the margin on depth was only 1mm. I don't know if high doses of pred cause stomach issues and she just recovered from an ulcer (presumably) as a result of the histamine from the tumor. Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Talk to him about doing benedryl instead. When one of my dogs had a suspected MCT I couldn't get to the vet right away and he told me to give her high doses of benedryl to keep it in check.

My Shanny had a MCT removed when she was 6. I didn't do pred or anything else with her after removal and she's now 14 1/2. Yes she now has lumps, but she's 14 1/2, which is a darned good age.

Laura

paws0804 is offline Junior Member

Thanks, that makes me feel better that Shanny didn't have pred and is 14.5 now. Yeah, Grace is full of lumps too; she's 11.