Grace had surgery to remove a lump on June 20th. It turned out to be a mass cell tumor, stage 2. He also removed five lipomas underneath it. The lipomas came back negative for any tumor cells. We got a chest xray done and it looks good. The vet said we had the option of doing a high dose of prednisone for two months. It may or may not prevent the occurrence of any others. He said to wait to start it because it can delay healing. I don't know what to do. I feel like i'm being a bad mom for not giving it to her, but at the same time, I don't know if she actually needs it. The vet got all of the tumor, although the margin on depth was only 1mm. I don't know if high doses of pred cause stomach issues and she just recovered from an ulcer (presumably) as a result of the histamine from the tumor. Thoughts?
Talk to him about doing benedryl instead. When one of my dogs had a suspected MCT I couldn't get to the vet right away and he told me to give her high doses of benedryl to keep it in check.
My Shanny had a MCT removed when she was 6. I didn't do pred or anything else with her after removal and she's now 14 1/2. Yes she now has lumps, but she's 14 1/2, which is a darned good age.
♣ Laura ♣
Thanks, that makes me feel better that Shanny didn't have pred and is 14.5 now. Yeah, Grace is full of lumps too; she's 11.