9 Month Old has scabs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9 Month Old has scabs

munch92791 is offline Junior Member

Default9 Month Old has scabs

Hello everyone,

In December, we got a black lab/golden retriever mix. Her name is Oakley.

We signed her up with Banfield Pet Hospital and have gone there with every problem we have had (Not eating food, diarrhea, her back legs not moving right, all of her shots ect). We are tired of being told that we need to spend $90 on a medicine that supposedly will not do anything, but it will help, or belittling us for wanting to let her have a litter of puppies before we get her fixed, and so on.

We recently took her to a state park (in PA), and without realizing it, she wore her shock collar in the water. We did NOT use it while she was in the water. I realized it about 8 hours later when we got home that she was still wearing it. We also rescued a kitten from my boss's barn (who has received his shots, and the rest will be ministered in 2 weeks). He did have ear mites, which we got treated and have been cleaning his ears every other day.

Earlier this week, we noticed that she had some big (quarter sized) and smaller (pencil eraser sized) scabs on her neck under her mouth. We took both of her collars off of her and have been applying hot spot spray and neosporin twice a day since Sunday. It is slowly getting better but not the way that she has healed in the past. Two days ago, I was rubbing her head and felt some bumps on top of her head. I started applying neosporin to those as well, but they have gotten bigger and redder and some have turned into scabs. They are also multiplying down her neck slowly.

Her mood hasn't changed much, except she pee'd twice within an hour in the house yesterday (something she hasn't done since she was 10 weeks old).
    We feed her in between 6-8 cups of Purina Puppy chow daily. And have since she was little.
    She is 69.9 pounds.
    Her poop hasnt changed, except for when she ate the cats food when we first brought him home.
    We did just shave her 2 weeks ago.
    Just had a bath a 1-2 weeks ago

We are currently looking for a new vets office, but no one has called us back.

This is the spot on her neck (hard to see, but its towards the bottom left of the white patch)
    1061577_10152075972692738_1259107990_n.jpg
    This is a spot on top of her head (middle right of the white spot.)
    1062418_10152075972642738_1620734014_n.jpg

Keep in mind that she does have neosporin on both places.

Thanks

Grant

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

The only thing missing from this post is herding turkeys.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Get the popcorn ready...
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

My Jack had some sort of scab looking bumps on his back under his hair, but they were dark. First just 2 then more. Vet said it's a skin infection. She gave him a shot & he's taking med's twice a day. They're starting to go away, slowly. I'm by no means an expert, I don't know much about it at all, just sharing. Good luck.

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by munch92791 View Post
    Hello everyone,

or belittling us for wanting to let her have a litter of puppies before we get her fixed, and so on.

Grant
    Why in the world would you have a litter of puppies?

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure if your post is serious or not - but - your dog has a skin problem and needs to see a vet. I've had dogs for many years and have had quite a few different vets - I have never had to wait for one to call me back. I have called them during business hours and made an appointment (easy-peasy).

On the hot topic of your mixed breed dog needing to have a litter of puppies - I wonder what your thought process is here? It does not physically or psychologically benefit your dog in any way to have a litter. Your bitch could very easily have a major medical issue during delivery which could necessitate emergency care and possibly surgery (happened to the mother of my younger lab). This could turn into thousands of dollars of expense for you.

You'll have a bunch of puppies (noisy, smelly) to manage for 8 weeks and get seen by a vet (expensive). If you do this responsibly, you will offer to take back any of the puppies you have chosen to bring into the world for their entire lifetimes (as this is what good breeders always do and you are chosing to be a breeder). Are you prepared for all of that?

Beyond that - I help with rescue and every day see pictures of dogs and even puppies (very young puppies) who are in kill shelters with very little chance of getting out and being adopted. Before you add to the problem of pet dog overpopulation, you might want to go see that for yourself by touring your local animal shelter. It pains me that we can't help more dogs get out of shelters, but people working in rescue can only save a small percentage of the discarded, unfortunate thousands that are killed (not euthanized) daily.

The world does not need more mixed breed puppies and your dog does not need to become a "mother" . Please reconsider your plan.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    I'm not sure if your post is serious or not - but - your dog has a skin problem and needs to see a vet. I've had dogs for many years and have had quite a few different vets - I have never had to wait for one to call me back. I have called them during business hours and made an appointment (easy-peasy).

On the hot topic of your mixed breed dog needing to have a litter of puppies - I wonder what your thought process is here? It does not physically or psychologically benefit your dog in any way to have a litter. Your bitch could very easily have a major medical issue during delivery which could necessitate emergency care and possibly surgery (happened to the mother of my younger lab). This could turn into thousands of dollars of expense for you.

You'll have a bunch of puppies (noisy, smelly) to manage for 8 weeks and get seen by a vet (expensive). If you do this responsibly, you will offer to take back any of the puppies you have chosen to bring into the world for their entire lifetimes (as this is what good breeders always do and you are chosing to be a breeder). Are you prepared for all of that?

Beyond that - I help with rescue and every day see pictures of dogs and even puppies (very young puppies) who are in kill shelters with very little chance of getting out and being adopted. Before you add to the problem of pet dog overpopulation, you might want to go see that for yourself by touring your local animal shelter. It pains me that we can't help more dogs get out of shelters, but people working in rescue can only save a small percentage of the discarded, unfortunate thousands that are killed (not euthanized) daily.

The world does not need more mixed breed puppies and your dog does not need to become a "mother" . Please reconsider your plan.
    DITTO. Please.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by munch92791 View Post
    or belittling us for wanting to let her have a litter of puppies before we get her fixed, and so on.
    Ok I'll bite. Why on earth would you want to introduce more mutts into this world when there are so many waiting in shelters for homes? To say this is irresponsible is an understatement!! I'm sure your dog is a wonderful pet, but this is NOT a reason to breed her.

You're dealing with a hot spot. Ointment is only making it worse. Wash that crap off and get some Gold Bond powder. Sprinkle that on the spots a couple of times a day and leave it alone. If you can shave the areas with the sores, all the better.

Laura

munch92791 is offline Junior Member

First off, before ANY of you go any further. I didn't come to this site to be ridiculed of what my decisions were and intentions are. I volunteer at a shelter and have seen the outcome of irresponsible "breeders." But also have seen multiple and if not more dogs go to their forever home.

The purpose of the starting this thread was to talk to fellow dog owners and get opinions rather than spend thousands of dollars on things that weren't needed.

And for every one who has ridiculed me for wanting to have a litter, I understand the responsibility and everything else that goes along with having puppies. And it wasn't going to be right when she was able to have puppies either. It doesn't matter now because she was fixed 4 months ago.

Thank you for all who have helped.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No one ridiculed you at all - if you read that into the measured comments you got then you are excessively sensitive.

More unsoliticed advice - shaving your dog (I assume to cool her off?) is not necessary since dogs don't perspire. The coat helps insulate them in cold or hot weather.

Hot spots are sometimes tied to diet and sometimes to allergy. You might want to start with selecting a grain free food as the food you have her on has a lot of grain (corn). You might save yourself some vet bills in the future by improving her diet.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast