FLEA QUESTION

Thread: FLEA QUESTION

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

DefaultFLEA QUESTION

On the last Sat of June, we did Jack's Frontline Plus. With the exception of one time this is the flea repellant we've been using for the year since we've had him. The first time we used K-9 Advantix and I didn't like his reaction to it. On July 3rd he was at the vet for an ear infection and skin problems and he had fleas. The vet put another brand of topical flea treatment on him and said it wouldn't hurt him. She said Frontline Plus hasn't really been good for the last couple years. This was the first I've had a problem with it. To try to shorten this story, it's now July 10th and guess who's got fleas. I did the whole house cleaning last week. Vaccuum, laundry, spray that we bought from the vet. I don't want to put any more chemicals on him. I saw on face book a "flea remedy" that is apple cider vinegar, baking soda, water, and salt. Has anyone tried this? Is there a reason I shouldn't? Not trying to be stupid, but I don't want to do anything that's bad for him. We have a ton of sand around, he digs in it, rolls in it...one of my friends say it's sand fleas that's giving him the problem, and Frontline won't work with them. Is that true or BS? Sorry this is so long. Getting frustrated. When we took him to the vet I thought he was just itching from the skin issues and I honestly had looked for fleas and didn't see any. But I felt like a bad doggy Mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Maybe give him Capstar? That kills them pretty quick. Do the house again and try another flea product at the end of july? I heard the same thing about frontline plus. I used Vectra from the vet a few years ago and am now using Advantix 2. Haven't had any flea or tick problems. Knock on wood.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

She actually gave him a Capstar at the office, along with the topical. Plus he's taking SMZ-TMP for his skin infection, ear drops for his ears, and an earwash. I feel like he's getting a lot of drugs. I also feel like a Mom who's kindergardener got sent home with head lice 5 days after the child was de-liced. Did you dog have any reaction to the Advantix? Jack was like he was stoned. Ran around wild, A LOT, sucked down water. Had wild eys with lots of white showing. Scared me enough I called vet. I think he was about 3 months when that happened. That's why I went to Frontline. Almost forgot, she also gave him a steroid shot. Drugged my baby up. I don't like.
    Last edited by KathyArch; 07-10-2013 at 08:32 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

You may need to treat your yard.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Our vet prescribes Comfortis. It is hard to get down the dog, must taste awful! I broke it into pieces and put it in cream cheese. It will interupt the life cycle of fleas, and kills them before they can lay eggs. It works really well.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

No reaction to the Advantix or the Vectra. The Vectra was a little more expensive.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I use Vectra 3D for Maxx without any problem but have to use Advantix on Emma. After almost 2 years of using it she started getting terrible hives.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

I will only use this stuff Buy Diatomaceous Earth - Buy Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

It MUST be the food grade. 1 tablespoon in the dog's food each day. You can also use it to dust the dog with. Again, it MUST be food grade.

Laura

cillovely is offline Senior Member

Wow I never thought to use DE or that there was food grade. I use it in my pool filter and try not to touch it or breathe it in because it has all these warnings on it. But that must be the difference that it's a food grade version.

I started Siren on Advantix three months ago and no issues.

labby is offline Senior Member

The non-food grade has sharp edges to it which can damage lungs and stuff if breathed in. The food grade does not.

Laura