When to stop puppy food?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to stop puppy food?

Natasha1518 is offline Member

DefaultWhen to stop puppy food?

I've been reading lots if different opinions. Some say start adult food earlier with large breeds to prevent obesity and joint problems, some say at 1 year old make the switch. Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I tell my puppy people to buy one 40# bag of puppy, then switch.

Laura

Natasha1518 is offline Member

Oh ok! Thank you! I will perhaps looking at switching to adult once I get lower on the food I have

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

I switched Gus at 4 months. I have been happy with that decision.
    He is on Purina pro plan sport.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

Ask your vet when to switch. The timing for the switch is largely voodoo/religious for anyone to answer other than vets and people with actual expertise in nutrition for dogs. There are simply to many variables for the layman (breeders included) to give an answer that isn't based on voodoo/religious beliefs.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    Ask your vet when to switch. The timing for the switch is largely voodoo/religious for anyone to answer other than vets and people with actual expertise in nutrition for dogs. There are simply to many variables for the layman (breeders included) to give an answer that isn't based on voodoo/religious beliefs.
    99% of vets have little to no true knowledge of healthy dog/puppy nutrition. I'd listen to the voodoo of a responsible breeder, who lives and breaths their dogs, any day.

To answer with my voodoo.... it depends on the food you're feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by nicole View Post
    99% of vets have little to no true knowledge of healthy dog/puppy nutrition. I'd listen to the voodoo of a responsible breeder, who lives and breaths their dogs, any day.

To answer with my voodoo.... it depends on the food you're feeding.
    It is entirely too easy for breeders to make correlations and come to conclusions based on their limited sample size. They are also all but certainly lacking in any kind of use of the scientific method. So, yes, unless you are a vet or are otherwise educated in nutritional science for dogs then your answers to when to take your dog off puppy food is largely voodoo/religious. The best a breeder can do is assert things such as, "My dogs have done well when I have taken them off of puppy food at this age" or "My dogs have not done well when I have taken them off of puppy food at this age". They simply do not have the expertise to say when they SHOULD be taken off of puppy food. Even with the example statements given above the breeder should also qualify their statement with what kind of food the dogs are eating and what kind of lifestyle they are living.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackercodemonkey View Post
    So, yes, unless you are a vet or are otherwise educated in nutritional science for dogs ...
    Well there you go... most vets are NOT educated in nutritional science. Unless you're talking about a nutritionist, the average vet receives very little training when it comes to the average/healthy dog's dietary needs. And what they do learn, depends on which food company sponsors the class at that school.

The best a breeder can do is assert things such as, "My dogs have done well when I have taken them off of puppy food at this age" or "My dogs have not done well when I have taken them off of puppy food at this age".
    Which is more than your vet will be able to do. AND their experience is actually dealing with the same genetic makeup as the bouncing bundle of fur you just took home.

labby is offline Senior Member

What Nicole said. Breeders are much more experienced in nutrition than a vet will ever be, unless said vet has a degree in nutrition. We LIVE it, they don't.

Laura

Breeders live with dogs yes. I drive a car. Does that make me a mechanic? Breeders have verification that their dogs look pretty or they perform in a particular venue. Either of which can just as much be attributed to luck as skill. Vets have a degree that that verifies they have learned scientific knowledge about animals. Some of which is about nutrition which is more verification than the current standard for reputable breeders is.

Again, at best breeders can make qualified statements such as "I have had success taking my dogs off of puppy food at this time". They do not have the expertise to say when a dog SHOULD be taken off of puppy food. There is a BIG difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast