No beef, soy, white potato, alfalfa and tomaoes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No beef, soy, white potato, alfalfa and tomaoes.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultNo beef, soy, white potato, alfalfa and tomaoes.

My vet finally received the preliminary report of Mardi's food allergies. When the final report arrives it will include a list of all available kibble and canned foods Mardi can safely eat. In the meantime, the vet says these are the foods to avoid: beef, soy, white potato, alfalfa and tomatoes. I have been searching online through multiple ingredients lists and the results aren't great. I have found that some Eukanuba formulae are safe, but those foods aren't well rated when I check online. I am low on the Chicken Soup I have been feeding her and it contains some of her forbidden foods. I know I need to switch her gradually and I may have to buy a small bag of CS before the switch to a safe food is completed. I don't recall how long it takes for the computer print out of her safe foods to arrive from Spectrum Labs, who tested her blood, so I am asking if anyone uses a kibble without all five culprits: beef, soy, white potato, alfalfa and tomatoes. I would like to begin the switch as soon as possible. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Nan, check Fromm grain free formulas. I feed surf and turf and I am pretty sure nothing you have mentioned is in this food. Dogfoodadvisor has a complete list of ingredients in each food. Don't get so hung up on the quality, feed what works for Mardi. I am glad you were able to get some answers!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to remind myself that years ago I though Purina ONE was great. I can't wait to see how Mardi does when she is no longer eating foods to which she is allergic. My life has been a miraculous change because of allergy shots and I hope a safe diet will help Mardi.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I just checked the bag of Fromm Surf and Turf, it does contain tomato pomace which I imagine would be completely out for you. My next choice would be Earthborn grain free.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 07-05-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks, Tammy. Earthborn has 2 that will work!
    Nancy

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Wow, what a specific list. I'm struck by the "white potato." Does that mean yellow fleshed potatoes like Yukon Gold are ok?

Don't get hung up on what the Dog Food Advisor tells you. Many of us feed Eukanuba products because our dog does well on them. It's what works for your dog that's important. And anyway, if you check a less biased website like the Dog Food Project where each ingredient's value is presented separately you can learn to analyse dog food yourself, not rely on someone else to do it for you.

Of the three foods I rotate only the Euk. Adult Maintenance fits your criterion. It's my breeder's food from weaning till death. I kept my two puppies from her on it, it's my main food. Good luck.

J.R.&JNE is offline Senior Member

I just checked our food - Wellness Core Grain Free and it has a few of the items you listed, so it isn't an option.

J.R. and June

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Precise Holistic Complete has some foods you could use - Precise Pet Products | Precise Holistic Complete®
    At a glance, it ooks like their medium breed and grain-free pork or lamb & turkey would meet the criteria. I haven't used their foods before, but have a friend with a giant breed who has had good luck with them.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I can't feed rice or potato to Tess and so hard to find a food without them. Sweet potato is the same for us so started feeding fish and tapioca. There is a fish and tapioca kibble.
    From what I understand it is all potato and sweet potato. I would feed what ever helps your dog.

I prefer kibble as it has vitamins so recently we started trialling the new Chicken feather diet by Royal Canin. It is suppose to be the latest in hypo allergenic diets.

None of these food are cheap. I have been feeding Ernie Royal Canin hypoallergenic for about 5 years.

ETA. There is another called Royal Canine HA. Looks like popcorn and I think a card box box might be more be better for them.
    Last edited by kassabella; 07-06-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NanM View Post
    Thanks, Tammy. Earthborn has 2 that will work!
    Nancy
    I was going to suggest Earthborn, too. I couldn't remember if it has tomato, but I know it doesn't have beef, soy, rice or potato. Caleb's been doing great on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    Wow, what a specific list. I'm struck by the "white potato." Does that mean yellow fleshed potatoes like Yukon Gold are ok?...
    I'm assuming it meant white as opposed to sweet potato. Personally, tho, I'd if the results say avoid white potato, I'd avoid sweet potatoes, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast