Heart-worm Preventative
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart-worm Preventative

Hjc20 is offline Member

DefaultHeart-worm Preventative

Just curious to know what kind of heart worm preventative do you all give your dogs? I gave my pup her first dose of Trifexis today and maybe an hour or so after she started getting real hyper then very lethargic and breathing heavy. Just thought she wore herself out. But apparently lethargy is a side effect. Also did some more research on it and found a lot of cases in which dogs had died possibly from trifexis. Found this: Is Trifexis safe? Are the internet rumors of severe side effects true? | Veterinary News Now im conflicted. My boyfriend and I want her to be safe. This is our first puppy so we dont really know much about heart worm prevention medications and the vet just sprung this on us at our first visit and i asked not to give it to her because i wanted to know more about it and she insisted and made me feel pressured so, we got it. Not sure if i made a mistake and put her at risk of a serious problem. What are your opinions?? And what do you give your pet babies? Also noticed her breath has a bad smell now. One thing i noticed when i got her was she didnt have bad doggy breath. Not sure if this has anything to do with that.
    Last edited by Hjc20; 07-02-2013 at 12:17 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

It is not a preventative I would use because of all the reported side effects and problems. I use Heartgard, the chewy heartworm preventative. It does not have the extra stuff in it Trifexis does and have never had any issues. I would worry if she had a reaction with the first dose the next dose would be worse possibly. My vet also encourages the use of Trifexis but did not push it when I declined. If you find your vet is pushing you to use something you are uncomfortable with it may be time to talk openly with her and look for a new vet if you continue to feel uncomfortable. I have found vets like that feel it is their way or the highway. I do not want an argument with my vet when it comes to later spaying, over vaccinations, meds, etc. That is not what I want in a vet. This is your puppy and the choices in her health care should be yours.

ETA - if you are using Trifexis for flea control, if fleas are serious issue in your area, as well please make sure you choose a topical flea treatment to replace the flea control portion of Trifexis.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 07-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Hjc20 is offline Member

Thank you! I just want to make sure she will be safe. We ultimately were using Trifexis for HW prevention. The flea control part of it is nice and all but i just want her to be safe against heart worms since she was a stray we wanted to get her on a healthy track. Fleas can be rid of in other safe effective ways so that wasn't our #1 reason for agreeing to Trifexis. But we'll see how she reacts in the next few weeks and i hope to gain more knowledge and opinions of it. I know every dog is different... Just was skeptical of this pill since the assistant mentioned it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

My mom uses trifexus with her dog and has not had any issues. I, however, use heartgard with Kai and have had no issues. Growing up, we also always used heartgard with no issues at all. I would be leery of continuing the use of trifexus after a suspected reaction, and definitely agree with Tammy that if your vet is making you feel pressured about something even after voicing that you are uncomfortable, it may be time to find a new vet. Hope everything works out!

Hjc20 is offline Member

Well we all had a very sleepless night. 3 am, Athena woke us up by making noises and pacing again. I thought she had to use the bathroom but i just took her out 3 hours prior. I let her out to go. She came back in doing the same thing. 5 am, i hear her squeal and cry and i jumped up and ran to her and she vomited on her bed then ran to the door. I let her out, she went again.. came back in and sat at the door as if she had to go again... still making noises. She keeps licking a lot as though something isn't right. My poor baby. idk what to think or do..

amazongold is offline Senior Member

GET HER TO A VET IMMEDIATELY!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Hjc20 is offline Member

I called the Veterinarian Hospital (the vet i took her to wont answer their phone this morning) and they told me to give her peptobismol. Not to give her normal dog food. Only chicken and rice and refrain from giving her too much water. They said if this doesnt work and she isnt getting better to bring her in. She has been going to the bathroom every 45 mins now and had an accident in my house She feels like she has to go and when she goes outside she just does little droplets of diarrhea. Now she is very lethargic. I feel so helpless for her. I think she has a fever too. Her ears are really hot. I really pray this passes and she gets better soon.
    Last edited by Hjc20; 07-02-2013 at 08:22 AM.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Please take your dogs temp and if it above normal
    call your vet right away. If your vet is hesitant to give you an appointment right away find a new vet today. In the mean time you could give her small amounts of crushed ice to keep her hydrated. Good luck!

ETA - if this was my dog I would be at the vets NOW!
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 07-02-2013 at 08:47 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

KathyArch is offline Senior Member

I'm no expert, don't really know that much at all. But after reading your last post, I'd take her to the e-vet in spite of what they said over the phone. This sounds too scarey and serious to wait any longer.

Hjc20 is offline Member

We took her to the vet and my poor baby vomited as soon as we got there. They did a parvo test and confined her. They didn't want to blame the trifexis. It's like every vet swears by it. I called 4 veterinarian hospitals and all said they doubted it was the trifexis. My dog was healthy and happy until hours after taking it. But okay. If thats not what it is... And the Parvo test was negative.. IDK. They just said it could be viral. Her tummy was sore when the vet was examining her.. they give us medications. Shes not aloud to eat or drink for another 4-6 hours. ( she already hasnt eaten or drank yet today. i tried giving her rice and chicken and water but she didnt want either) They also gave her a nausea medication.. and it was so painful i literally almost cried hearing her squealing and crying. She did have a slight bit of a fever. She was at 103.4.. We are home now and we have to wait an hour before she takes her medication the vet prescribed. my heart is broken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast