Looking for opinions on dog food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions on dog food

lkd0830 is offline Junior Member

DefaultLooking for opinions on dog food

Hi, Piper is 10 months old and is currently on Purina One adult dog food. I am looking for thoughts on which dog food you prefer and why. Piper is doing great on Purina One, good stools (consistency, color) , she isn't gassy (which was an issue for our last lab), her stools don't have an offensive odor. There are so many options out there and it can be a little overwhelming. Any preferences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

My #1 choice for dog food is Fromm.
    I have 2 girls, Java & Moka. I rotate 4 varieties of Fromm grain free and my girls do amazing on all of them.
    I also rotate 4 formulas of Earthborn Holistics and some Acana (all grain free-it just works better for my girls).

But-if I had to pick just one food to feed it would be Fromm.
    Small family owned company, they've never had a recall and their food just works for my girls. Great product, great ingredients, etc.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Another vote for Fromm. My 2 love it and absolutely no issues. If you want a better quality food, what you are feeding is not the best, what about Pro Plan? (NOT the shredded type!)
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lkd0830 is offline Junior Member

I do want a better quality food, it is just that there are so many options and I wanted opinions from people that I know are concerned about their dogs health. What their experiences are. Is Fromm sold at PetSmart? I live in Michigan and don't recall seeing that brand but that doesn't mean that I haven't overlooked it. I will look into Pro Plan as well.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Not sure about PetSmart, you can always ask if they will order it. There are plenty of places on-line you can buy it and get free shipping. You will find many opinions just remember the most important thing is that the food works for YOUR dog!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lkd0830 View Post
    Hi, Piper is 10 months old and is currently on Purina One adult dog food. I am looking for thoughts on which dog food you prefer and why. Piper is doing great on Purina One, good stools (consistency, color) , she isn't gassy (which was an issue for our last lab), her stools don't have an offensive odor. There are so many options out there and it can be a little overwhelming. Any preferences?
    Why are you looking to change? People change foods to get to the point you are at!

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lkd0830 View Post
    I do want a better quality food, it is just that there are so many options and I wanted opinions from people that I know are concerned about their dogs health. What their experiences are. Is Fromm sold at PetSmart? I live in Michigan and don't recall seeing that brand but that doesn't mean that I haven't overlooked it. I will look into Pro Plan as well.
    You can go to the Fromm website (Fromm Family Foods Gourmet Dog & Cat Food, Naturally Holistic) and look under Where to Buy. Type in your zip code and they will list places in your area that sell it.
    Fromm is not sold at Petsmart but it is sold at places like Tractor Supply, Agway or local feed stores.

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

If your dog is doing well, I would be reluctant to put it on the food rollercoaster. Buying what you think is a better food may in the end give you all the problems you aren't seeing with Purina One.

If you are insistent on going better, Purina One has alot of soy in it, move up to Pro Plan Selects Chicken and Rice. It with be "better" but not different enough to cause dietary problems for your dog.

slackercodemonkey is offline Senior Member

IMO, individual dogs may or may not do well with particular brands. I think to a lesser extent that can be said of " dog lines". As far as the question of good food is concerned, it is largely a "religious" question. Think of this forum as a dinner table and don't ask which religion(food) is better. Stick with what works. If what you are feeding isn't working start by asking your vet. Then start asking down the list of people you know who have dogs that you trust for suggested foods to try. Again, asking opinions on dog foods is like asking which religion is best.
    Last edited by slackercodemonkey; 06-28-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Legendary70 is offline Junior Member

I did a lot of research on dog food whe I first got my German shepherd 2 months ago. Her name is Khaleesi and she is 3 1/2 months. I feed her blue wilderness for large breed puppy and she is healthy and huge. We just got a black lab...her name is Panda and seems to like the food also. She is 4 months old. Go for it.....it's good food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast