Rimadyl
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimadyl

paws0804 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRimadyl

Does anyone's dog experience vomiting while taking Rimadyl? In 2010, Grace was on Rimadyl for back issues and after a week, she couldn't keep any food down. She was started on Rimadyl May 20th for her arthritis, and this past weekend, she puked three times before 2pm, so I took her to the ER vet. So while she's also on a number of other pills now (Tramadol, Clindamycin, Thyroid medicine), Rimadyl is the only common factor. It could be a complete coincidence.. just curious...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Java tolerates Rimadyl fine but Moka does not so she doesn't get it.
    If she is vomiting, stop giving her the Rimadyl and ask for another type of med such as Metacam. She obviously does not tolerate the Rimadyl well and it could cause some serious health problems if you continue to give it to her.

Lukesmommy is offline Junior Member

Agreed. Stop giving it and ask for something else. Neither of my girls can have NSAIDs. Brandy got a gastric ulcer from Metacam and Lily had an allergic reaction to Rimadyl. You can try a different one and your dog may be fine, but watch her closely. I have chosen to err on the side of caution and I just don't give them at all to my girls. There are other options, so if you're not comfortable trying another NSAID, talk to your vet about those options.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper suffered severe GE every time that he took Rimadyl ! Never again.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

My boxer could not take Previcox, or Rimadyl when she tore her ACLs. She would throw up. After her surgery, she was on Tramadol which is different from an NSAID and did fine on that. Tramadol is an opiate though and it made her a little loopy. I was glad she was only on it a short time.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I will never give this med again. May be s complete coincidence but I had a healthy dog. 8 1/2 years old. Vet had me start him on them and less than a month later he died. His senior blood work from his check up the month before was perfect. I also prefer to err on the side of caution.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by dstyer65 View Post
    My boxer could not take Previcox, or Rimadyl when she tore her ACLs. She would throw up. After her surgery, she was on Tramadol which is different from an NSAID and did fine on that. Tramadol is an opiate though and it made her a little loopy. I was glad she was only on it a short time.
    I'm wondering if Tramadol is why she's acting a little off... I didn't know it was an opiate til I was googling the side effects because she's drinking tons and tons of water now.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I will never give this med again. May be s complete coincidence but I had a healthy dog. 8 1/2 years old. Vet had me start him on them and less than a month later he died. His senior blood work from his check up the month before was perfect. I also prefer to err on the side of caution.
    that's so sad

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

Stella my boxer, was lethargic, and panted more on tramadol.The symptoms went away after a few days though.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

Lilliam is offline Junior Member

Rimadyl has long been linked with liver problems with some breeds. I know that we've monitored my border collies while they were on it. Also Billy.

The following article specifically mentions labs. I would do blood work to get a baseline and then monitor every three months to see any variances.

What are the Rimadyl side effects in Dogs? | What are the Rimadyl Side Effects?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast