seizures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seizures

slmclean is offline Member

Defaultseizures

hi I haven't been on here for awhile, but I got the scare of my life this morning, I let bella and bo outside and I went outside a few minutes later and found bella on the ground shaking all over her pupils were very enlarged I called my daughter next door and we got her into the house and she came out of it but 2 minutes later she went into another one so we took her to the vet they drew blood and checked her over and told me her tyroid levels are 2.1 so now she is on thyrosyn for 6 to 8 weeks and she also put her on a purina om to cause she is 8 lbs over weight I hope this helps her. im also suppose to try and keep her calm the rest of the day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the siezures. I don't like the fact that they vet took the opportunity of your dog's illness to push their food and tell you the dog needs to lose weight. You can do that by cutting back 1/4 cup a meal of your regular food and upping exercise.

There are many causes of siezures in dogs. Labs can have epilepsy and currently there is no genetic test for it. I would first look at chemicals such as weed killer, bug poison, and make sure that the dog had no chance of getting in that kind of stuff. I would also eliminate all non-essential chemicals/air freshners/aerosols in the house. Some folks even think looking at the food might be of help. I have heard that grain free helps in these cases. Also some proteins "heat" the body vs. "cool" the body, so I would try to find "cool" proteins (beef, fish vs. chicken, lamb).

I have seen low thyroid issues in siezure dogs but many times it's not the cause. Keep track of when and where and how often. If you have seizures like once a week, you will need to get your vet to give you a medication.

the vet gave me some suppositories that I suppose to give her if she has another one and she said if she does keep having them then she will put her on seizure meds but right now she wants to see if these thyroid pills help her out. she has been pretty calm since this morning but of course when she is up and moving around i'm following her around real close, I have never had a dog that had seizures so i'm pretty nervous about it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

No experience with dogs and seizures, just wanted to say I'm sending out good thoughts for your Bella. I'm sure it is a very scary thing to witness.

yes it was and poor Bo was worried to.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Poor Bella, that must have been extremely frightening. I do agree with luvbrown, there is NO reason to buy food from the vet, cut her back 1/4 cup per feeding. Vets love to push prescription diets, they make money from them. I sure hope Bella never has another seizure.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry about Bella! I pray she will be ok! We had a similar incident with Sophie. She had neurological symptoms and possible seizure symptoms. We took her to the emergency vet. After every test known to man (and dog) the results showed really nothing out of the ordinary. The vet tech noticed Sophie was licking a spot on her thigh. Sophie couldn't even stand up or anything. The tech shaved the spot and found that she had been bitten. Probably by a spider. I have never been so scared! I can relate to how you are feeling. Is there any possiblity that Bella could have been bitten, and the thyroid might be a coincidence? The vet gave Sophie a shot of steroids and benadryl and within minutes she had snapped out of it. I am in no way suggesting that your vet is wrong, but since the spider incident, I have been telling people with similar instances, in case. Good luck. Hope she does well on her meds.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

My neighbor's yellow lab had bad seizures. He's on medication because he has them chronically. The breeder they got him from is going to give them a puppy from the next litter at no cost. The vet seemed to think it was a genetic issue. The breeder ended up admitting that several of her breeding dogs have seizures and are on medication. So my neighbor told the breeder while they'd surely love another dog so Dozer has company, what they'd really like is for her to stop breeding the dogs with seizures!

So sorry about Bella, hopefully she's good as new soon and they get to the bottom of it!

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

That would be so scary. I have no experience but reading the various posts I can see that it may be more common then you think. I don't know if your vet has given you the best advise but I guess that it is worth a try. They always attack the weight. Our pups do love to eat. I send my best wishes for Bella and you and Bo and hope that there will not be an other event. Good luck with a quick, efficient and inexpensive end to this problem.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

labby is offline Senior Member

Seizures are scary. Have you applied Frontline or other flea preventative lately?

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast