Very Sick Puppy
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Sick Puppy

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

DefaultVery Sick Puppy

Hello everyone, My 9 1/2 week girl is terribly ill I'm afraid. We have a vet appointment at 1:30 and ive been trying to catch a decent urine specimen all morning. I know you are not a replacement for her Dr but DH just left for a business trip and I'm so incredibly worried. I was just wondering if anyone has been through something similar so I can be better prepared or a little less worried.*

Several days after she came home we suspected a UTI. We took her to the Vets for her puppy check up and they said she looks great, but gave us antibiotics and told us to bring her back if it got worse. Also we were advised to give her benadryl for her itchy ears and a few small red bumps we saw. They said it looked like allergies. In three days she seemed better but we noticed she sleeps ALOT but assumed it was puppy induced sleepiness, benadryl and antibiotics. Three days ago we had a great two days without any accidents inside and thought all was well. Then last night lots of little accidents startedagain.

*DH and her played on the floor for close to an hour late last night, when she tired she came to sit with me. 15 minutes later I noticed she was breathing Very hard and showed DH. We picked her up and noticed she was HOT! We grabed ice water and she gulped it down like crazy and her breathing was much better but she was still hot, so DH poured 3 inches of cool water in the tub (we assumed that she got too over heated) she also seemed stiff when walking. After the bath she settled down and seemed very happy. Now this morning she is leaving quarter sized wet marks on the floor (pee) and whimpering. She also seems to be walking stiff. It's breaking my heart I tell you. She is so unhappy and pathetic.

Any ideas, I will take her to the vets but my mind is telling me terrible things.*
    Side note we have contacted the breeder who my husband (puppy suprised me with) She has not returned our calls and pretty much freaked me out when we picked up the pup. A terrible terrible BYB

Thanks all
    Nina

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Definitely sounds like a bad UTI. Get her to the vet now!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

dstyer65 is offline Senior Member

I don't have any experience with this. Just sending good wishes your way and hope the vet can get things all fixed.
    Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
    Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Praying for the little pup, let us know what the vet says..please.

cillovely is offline Senior Member

About all I can tell you is I personally have had a very bad UTI and thought I was being stabbed in the back at my kidneys. It hurt very badly, had a high fever and thought I was going to die. Took a few rounds of antibiotics to clear it up.

So if a pup has this, and they can't tell you they hurt or what hurts we can only guess. But to me it does sound like she may have one that is very bad.

Good luck and let us know how you and your pup make out.

BellsandBeans is offline Senior Member

Thank you everyone!!!!!!! As soon as I saw Tammy's post I high tailed it to the vet. Apt time or not. Thak God for good/bad news. They ran a urine test and were concerned about her having crystals and she DOES NOT but a very bad UTI. They have to send the sample out to find the exact bacteria to treat but gave me clavamox in the mean time. She also has an ear infection whis is now being treated. Poor girl as far as her stiffness several vets looked at her and said they really think its just growing pains but to keep an eye out on her, Though they said her hips are loose, so we will start supplements ASAP. They said it "may" correct itself or "may" lead to future problems but its too soon to tell. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your well wishes and kind thoughts. It does help!
    Nina and Bells

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the update, continued good thoughts for her.

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

A suggestion for collecting a urine sample - slip a paper plate beneath her as she squats and collect it that way. Because of her young age you might need a size smaller than a dinner plate. Good luck with everything.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

Jet-ster is offline Member

Glad to hear you found some answers! I'm new to all of this too and I didn't realize the exercise restrictions (for the hips/joints) on these little guys. If you are not aware of this I would definitely read up. Hope she is feeling better soon!
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." ~Unknown

Jett

Labradory is offline Senior Member

Suggest you get pet insurance as soon as you can. They usually will not cover pre-existing conditions, but it sounds like there may be some problems soon, and there is a waiting period.

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra CGC (Cassie) and Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved 7/31/2010

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast