Please rate dog vitamins.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please rate dog vitamins.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultPlease rate dog vitamins.

For those of you who feed a daily vitamin to your Lab, please tell me why you chose a particular brand. Have you noticed a change in you Lab since giving a daily vitamin? Mardi would rather eat grass than play! She doesn't vomit the fresh green grass that she can only nibble. However, she is frantic to eat the clumps of wet and often muddy grass that my lawn mower shoots out so she gets large amounts of grass from these. In each and every grassy place she walks, she becomes obsessed with eating grass. It is really sad because I have a very large, fenced grassy area where she can exercise and play. I got her in February (she is around 2 and a rescue with little history) and she never has formed stools regularly. Periodically, she will have a single, explosive liquid movement and I can't always think of a reason for this. When she doesn't get sufficient grass her stools are so softly formed I have to scrape them up. She has had numerous stool tests and been treated for various worms and clostridia. I have slowly switched her from Chicken Soup Adult to ID to Canidae Lamb and Rice and back to Chicken Soup with no establishment of regularly formed stools. She will be tested for allergies on Wednesday (blood will be sent to Spectrum Labs) but I would feel better if she ate a daily vitamin. I just want to choose a good one and I am not worried about the price. I want to give her a vitamin in case she is deficient in something. I am not going to try another food until I get her results from the allergy tests. Oh, she is also quite determined to eat her stools but I can usually pick them up fast enough that she doesn't get anything but the stuff that is too loose to scrape out of the grass. If I don't get there fast enough, she eats everything.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NanM View Post
    For those of you who feed a daily vitamin to your Lab, please tell me why you chose a particular brand. Have you noticed a change in you Lab since giving a daily vitamin? Mardi would rather eat grass than play! She doesn't vomit the fresh green grass that she can only nibble. However, she is frantic to eat the clumps of wet and often muddy grass that my lawn mower shoots out so she gets large amounts of grass from these. In each and every grassy place she walks, she becomes obsessed with eating grass. It is really sad because I have a very large, fenced grassy area where she can exercise and play. I got her in February (she is around 2 and a rescue with little history) and she never has formed stools regularly. Periodically, she will have a single, explosive liquid movement and I can't always think of a reason for this. When she doesn't get sufficient grass her stools are so softly formed I have to scrape them up. She has had numerous stool tests and been treated for various worms and clostridia. I have slowly switched her from Chicken Soup Adult to ID to Canidae Lamb and Rice and back to Chicken Soup with no establishment of regularly formed stools. She will be tested for allergies on Wednesday (blood will be sent to Spectrum Labs) but I would feel better if she ate a daily vitamin. I just want to choose a good one and I am not worried about the price. I want to give her a vitamin in case she is deficient in something. I am not going to try another food until I get her results from the allergy tests. Oh, she is also quite determined to eat her stools but I can usually pick them up fast enough that she doesn't get anything but the stuff that is too loose to scrape out of the grass. If I don't get there fast enough, she eats everything.
    Thanks.
    You posted about the grass eating over a month ago.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/l...own-grass.html

Now you are telling us you have taken no steps to prevent that? She still "gets large amounts of grass." Am I understanding correctly that you think the large amounts of grass are beneficial to stool formation and you are hoping to find a vitamin that will work instead of large amounts of grass? Really, I have not heard of a vitamin supplement that does that but I have heard of feeding small amounts of pumpkin. No idea of amount but others will likely chime in. The grass could be dangerous as pointed out in your other thread.

Sorry if I got it wrong but do look into pumpkin.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Why would you give a dog vitamins?? They should get all they need for a proper diet. STOP changing the food so much! That is probably what is causing the loose stool. Put her on a good quality kibble and stick with it.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Omg. Seriously? What both Dog Paddle and Jackie said. Mardi is a dog, not a yo-yo or science experiment, sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm shaking my head here going over this and your other posts.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

I have a lawn sweeper to clear the fenced area of clumps, but they do exist other places we go. She is absolutely frantic if I muzzle her. I use only pieces of her kibble for rewards and don't feed her any scraps. She IS learning "leave it" but coveted food is often too much for her to surrender. I did try pumpkin for weeks and it didn't make any difference other than the stool color. The only reason I am considering vitamins is because some advice I have received says dogs eat grass because their diet is lacking in something essential. My trainer, who has had occasion to scoop Mardi's stool, agrees it is not normal. Mardi is my eighth dog and none before her has had any problem like this. In fact, the first three were fed cheap supermarket store kibble and were healthy. Since she arrived here on February 8, she has shed her old coat and now is gloriously shiny, silky, brilliant black. She appears healthy, except for loose and sometimes diarrheal stools, and pica--she eats all manner of inappropriate stuff at every opportunity. She is constantly frantic to eat absolutely anything. Other than her eating issues and separation anxiety, she is happy and sweet. I would be a poor owner not to address her loose stools.
    I will think long and hard before-- or if I post again. I have Asperger Syndrome and won't risk irritating anyone here again. Sorry for offending all you neurotypicals.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I am not sure this is correct, but worked for me.

Kassa would eat grass like a sheep. One day at the soccer a vet there watching the game told me to feed her peas. something she is lacking and peas help. Seemed mad to me, but I did it and she stopped.

Each time one of the other dogs have had a yearning for grass or dirt I have feed them peas and they stopped. Can't hurt to try.

Labs are shocking at eating stuff. Ernie will follow a crawling baby trying to get the diaper off.

I looked at the title and thought this will be interesting as I have 2 special needs dogs. Only one I feed are glucosmine for joints or other joint supplements. I feed Tess centrum as she is on home cooked and can only eat fish. If they eat normal food and don't have other problems I wouldn't give any other things.
    Last edited by kassabella; 06-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Interesting about the peas Chris! I'll have to try that, as all of my dogs are absolute cows about eating grass. Long stringy poops if they eat standing grass or bottle brushes out their butts if they eat too much mon grass clumps. I have had to change the way I mow to lessen the mower clumps, even double mowing.

Nan, it sounds like you are changing food every month, that is pretty often, and can indeed be one reason for the poopy parade. What are the ingredients that these foods have in common? How much are you feeding? What is her weight? The reason I ask is that overfeeding can easily cause soft poops/diarrhea. Maybe cut the amount significantly and add pumpkin. We did this for a long term boarding dog at the kennel and it instantly stopped his stool problem. He is a bit thin, but certainly within reasonable condition.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NanM View Post
    I will think long and hard before-- or if I post again. I have Asperger Syndrome and won't risk irritating anyone here again. Sorry for offending all you neurotypicals.
    This really makes me sad. I just really wish this did not happen.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

There's no need to get huffy. Your second post here just explained much more than you have up to now in either thread. We are not mind readers here and we really are concerned about Mardi. If you say she is eating large amounts of grass and people tell you it can be harmful and then you come back a month later and say she is still eating large amounts of grass we've got to wonder why you bother asking us.

Thank you for explaining the link between the grass and the vitamins. It seems you have decided the lack of vitamins idea is one you concur with but you didn't tell us that at first. Since her eating habits are so extreme my only thought now is to see if a full bloodwork up would tell you if that theory is correct. And I don't know if bloodwork can tell you but adhoc advice seems to have you conflicted and what you have tried hasn't worked.

I can't tell how many foods you've tried in what period of time but some dogs are sensitive to food changes and the more you change the fewer they tolerate. I have one more "I wonder" for you and it is; would your Vet OK something like Kaopectate to firm up her stools if you could settle on a food and let her system get used to that food? I certainly am not advocating such a trial without consulting with a Vet. However my Vet has OK'd Kaopectate for my dog for occasional temporary use.

Oh, another idea. A Vet standing in for my sister's Vet told her to try one of the (dreaded Vet Rx only) weight loss foods to control dietary upset and long standing loose stool issues. It worked. The only drawback was her dog did not need to lose weight and he got thin and would not eat more of the food but he managed much better. And Sis's bill for carpet steam cleaning went down drastically. Ask your Vet.

Good luck.

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

I don't think she needs a vitamin. Has she been put on anything to treat for worms or giardia? These things don't always show up in fecals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast