Breeder insists I mix food with water forever
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeder insists I mix food with water forever

DefaultBreeder insists I mix food with water forever

Hi,

My breeder insists that, for the life of my currently 10 weeks old puppy Cocoa, I mix her food with water, and that barring a very hot day, that 100% of her water be provided along with her food.

While I understand mixing food and water with each meal allows me to somewhat control when she pees, and may provide some security from bloat, I'm not sure this is the way I want to go long term.

Thoughts?

Cocoa's Dad

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nicole is offline Senior Member

I add water to all of my dogs' meals but it certainly isn't the only water they're allowed. Unless crated, my dogs have free water access.

zoezoe is offline Senior Member

ditto to what nicole said. i always add water to their dry food and they have free access to water whenever they want it. of course, for some reason, they think they have to wait until i come home from work and show me they know how to drink...still haven't figured that one out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

goodguy is offline Senior Member

X3... I always have and will add water to my sami's food. As well as letting her have full access to water all day...

labby is offline Senior Member

I do it with all of mine too. Honestly, there are worse things that you can do. I don't understand why you are against this when it's good for the dog.

Laura

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

"and that barring a very hot day, that 100% of her water be provided along with her food."

Maybe Im ready the post wrong, but I think the problem is that this is the only water source for the pup. I add water to Sammi's food, but she also has free access to water all day. As I said maybe I'm understanding the OP wrong.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

If I did not add it to my crews food they would choke! They eat so fast that trying to eat dry they choke.
    Only one does not use water because she has a hard time eating that way and I toss all her meds in her food.
    Kim

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Your breeder's idea of only giving water with the food is nonsense and possibly dangerous to your pup's health. Soak the kibble if you want (we don't, no one's died or bloated yet) but please give your puppy free choice water.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I do add water (and did lose a dog to bloat) but would never restrict water intake to what I add to meals. That is crazy!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

I add water to both of my boyz' meals and have been since day one. Their food is not soaked, I just add water to their bowls right before they eat. They also get full access to water during the day (unless they're in their crates). Not sure why your breeder would ask you to not allow your pup water at any other time though???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast