MILD HIP DYSPLASIA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MILD HIP DYSPLASIA

enzo is offline Member

DefaultMILD HIP DYSPLASIA

ok earlier i talked about how he walks fine on the ground and even run very amazing but the new vet has confirmed mild hip dysplasia but he says there is very great possibilities that he will keep in improving till he grows old because is is very mild and can walk and run..though in an odd style but still..
    and I know he is progressing and he is healthy and good...I am taking care of him and doctor said that with exercise he will get better and better..i have been told to provide rough surface and daily walk on grass and 1 hr walk in morning and 1 hr in evening and if possible then hydrotherapy...they are providing him with antibiotics and multivitamin and some kind of calcium or protein which is for joints only...

I have been told that I need to make his back muscle stronger with exercise and medication..

main reason for posting this thread i so that I can inform all those people who took pain in posting on my previous posts and it is GENETIC he says!! anyway i know he will get better and better everyday and infact he has improved alot and will be and infact already is my perfect enzo

any suggestions and advise then plz tell me

DSC01342.jpgDSC01353.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Were there x-rays done? Who evaluated them? In that young a puppy with joints still developing there is bound to be some laxity in the joint.

Extra calcium is not going to benefit the puppy. If you are feeding a properly balanced puppy or ALS dog food, all the vitamins and minerals he needs are already there and more is NOT better.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Were there x-rays done? Who evaluated them? In that young a puppy with joints still developing there is bound to be some laxity in the joint.

Extra calcium is not going to benefit the puppy. If you are feeding a properly balanced puppy or ALS dog food, all the vitamins and minerals he needs are already there and more is NOT better.

x100. how was this "diagnosed"??
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I just did not think your puppy's gait was unusual in any way. HD must be diagnosed via x-ray, the x-rays are then evaluated. Normally these X-rays are done around 2 years of age. I have never heard of HD getting better as the dog ages.
    As Sharon posted above, there is no reason to give your puppy extra calcium. Allowing swimming is definitely good for dogs and does help strengthen muscles. I honestly think your vet is alarming you for no reason.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

enzo is offline Member

Defaultyes

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post

i particularly said him no for the calcium part..but he convinced my mother for something particularly for a joint.

and the X-rays he said will be done next week but it is kind of visibel as he has to apply energy to get up..puts all his weight on the front legs and spreads them all the time...but he is getting better day by day...i was told that in some cases the part where the tissue around joint don't grow..as some puppy grows up the muscle start filling that area and becomes kind of more strong in that area as some puppy grows up..

enzo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    x100. how was this "diagnosed"??
    no for calcium as yu mentioned but something for joint..i will upload the new video then you can kinda tell and the new guy i went to is actually a surgeon and pretty well known....he checked him physically his gait and the way he stands and said at this age they develop alot so there is pretty much chance that his joint becomes stronger....i will upload a new video...

enzo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I just did not think your puppy's gait was unusual in any way. HD must be diagnosed via x-ray, the x-rays are then evaluated. Normally these X-rays are done around 2 years of age. I have never heard of HD getting better as the dog ages.
    As Sharon posted above, there is no reason to give your puppy extra calcium. Allowing swimming is definitely good for dogs and does help strengthen muscles. I honestly think your vet is alarming you for no reason.
    .i was told that in some cases the part where the tissue around joint don't grow..as some puppy grows up the muscle start filling that area and becomes kind of more strong in that area as some puppy grows up..

i will upload a new video ...

enzo is offline Member

here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB0m75DRZP4

the way he stands and slips on the floor!! oly thats the isuue other wise he is on a great improvement now!!
    Last edited by enzo; 05-30-2013 at 01:56 PM.

labby is offline Senior Member

The way he stands and moves does show something is going on with this puppy. It looks more like Wobbler's Syndrome rather than hip dysplasia to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKYXuot0Vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8piNrhIGic

Laura

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labby about there is something wrong, but doesn't look like HD to me. Ernie has severe HD in both hips and they are stiff when he walks. He also bunny hops rather that swaggers, and doesn't look unsteady.

The vet is right about making the muscles stronger to help the hips. In my experience HD hips do not get better with age they degenerate.

I am sorry you cute puppy has whatever it is he has.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast