2013 WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines for New Puppy Owners

Thread: 2013 WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines for New Puppy Owners

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

Exclamation2013 WSAVA Vaccination Guidelines for New Puppy Owners

2013 World Small Animal Veterinary Association VACCINATION GUIDELINES FOR NEW PUPPY OWNERS http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/f...May%202013.pdf

" 2. The WSAVA also states that the last puppy vaccine against the core diseases should be given at 14-16 weeks of age. This is because, before this time, the mother passes immunity to her puppies, and this ‘maternal immunity’ can prevent the vaccine from working.

3. A high percentage (98%) of core puppy vaccines given between 14-16 weeks of age will provide immunity against parvovirus, distemper and adenovirus for many years, and probably for the life of the animal .

6. The WSAVA supports the use of titre testing. ...."
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Thanks. It was kind of short. I would have liked to see similar detail for all the vaccinations common in N. America and not just the Lepto and Bordetella. But I am reassured I'm doing the correct thing by not choosing either of those for my dog and I like the comment about the others not necessarily being needed even every three years. Would have like to see more detail on titres.

Kris L. Christine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Paddle View Post
    Thanks. It was kind of short. I would have liked to see similar detail for all the vaccinations common in N. America and not just the Lepto and Bordetella. But I am reassured I'm doing the correct thing by not choosing either of those for my dog and I like the comment about the others not necessarily being needed even every three years. Would have like to see more detail on titres.
    Dog Paddle, click on the link for "full guidelines," and you will find more detailed canine vaccine information. Here is a link for the 2011 American Animal Hospital Association's Canine Vaccine Guidelines https://www.aahanet.org/PublicDocume...Guidelines.pdf which does have information on titering, including the following:

p. 17 "Despite the confusion and controversy surrounding antibody testing, these serologic tests are useful for monitoring immunity to CDV, CPV-2, CAV-1, and RV. .....On completion of the puppy core vaccination series with the last dose given at 14-16 wk of age, a dog can be expected to have an antibody titer or positive test result, regardless of the serologic test performed, provided the serum sample is collected > 2 wk after the last dose of vaccine." (CDV=distemper, CPV-2 = parvovirus, CAV-1 hepatitis, RV= rabies)

p. 18 "In a study reported in 1997, dogs vaccinated with a product containing CDV (canine distemper virus) and then placed in an environment without CDV maintained antibody titers for at least 10 yr."
    Kris L. Christine
    Founder, Co-Trustee
    The Rabies Challenge Fund
    www.RabiesChallengeFund.org