Heat?

Thread: Heat?

Penny1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHeat?

You must get this alot.

I have a lab bitch, first dog I've owned. She is 6 months old and I must say she is brilliant We have taken away the crate now for about two weeks, completely trustworthy and so clever!

Anyway I know it must be quite early for her to have her first season, but she keeps licking her lady parts and it looks like it has dried mud or something around it it looks a bit ''dirty''. It's not swollen and there has been no blood (I guess it'll be bright red?) Would she be too early for a season or could it be something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

6 months is not too early for some girls. Can you call the breeder and ask when mom first came in?

Your girl might be in pre-season where sometimes they lick themselves and get a bit of dark discharge before they actually have a season. Or she could have a UTI.

You will know when she's in season if you wipe her vulva every other day with a white tissue. You might see a rusty discharge first that will get brighter in color but it's rarely bright red like a cut.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Agree with the above.

Why did you take her crate away? Dogs love their crates, that is their safe place, their den. They should have the option to go into the crate whenever they want to, and it's always a good idea to have it in case you need to enclose them for any reason. Also ... they can be trustworthy for a while, then bam! they get into something they shouldn't. I have a 7.5 year old that cannot be left alone for more than a couple of hours or he gets in trouble. At only 6 months, I'd say you still have a little while to go before you can say she is completely trustworthy.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Agree with the above.

Why did you take her crate away? Dogs love their crates, that is their safe place, their den. They should have the option to go into the crate whenever they want to, and it's always a good idea to have it in case you need to enclose them for any reason. Also ... they can be trustworthy for a while, then bam! they get into something they shouldn't. I have a 7.5 year old that cannot be left alone for more than a couple of hours or he gets in trouble. At only 6 months, I'd say you still have a little while to go before you can say she is completely trustworthy.
    Amen to this! I had a 4 year old that destroyed a leather couch and loveseat. He would chew on a book, CD case, mail, etc every so often but I learned that day he could not be trusted again! I don't think I would ever trust a 6 month old or put away the crate. Maxx loves his crate and sleeps in it, on his own, more often than not. It is his special place to hide a favorite toy, nap or whatever. He would be lost without it.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Penny1 is offline Junior Member

sorry I didn't phrase ut properly. crate is still here but we don't confine her anymore like when we go out or overnight.

phoned breeder and she said mum was 14 months old when she had her first season.

she has been totally different today like not herself. she has a vet appointment for next week to get weighed for flea treatment so shall speak to them. I can sense something id different/wrong with her

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Ahh, ok. Hope the vet can tell you what's wrong, but I am guessing she is in heat. I hope that's all it is.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

The dirt you describe can be a sign of bacteria - UTI. I usually see this in a pup with a recessed vulva. Are you sure she is not recessed? If she is her heat cycle should correct it.