New Puppy - What to feed?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Puppy - What to feed?

Ruger55 is offline Junior Member

QuestionNew Puppy - What to feed?

Hello everyone!

I will be bringing home my new black lab puppy in two weeks. He will be 8 weeks old. I have everything I can think of for him except one thing...his food. The breeder currently has him on purina one large breed puppy and swears by it. I haven't heard such great things about this food and I am looking to switch. I plan to buy a smaller sized bag of what he is currently eating and not just switching him cold turkey. The question is what should I be feeding? I would like something natural.

I have heard nutro max is a good choice and they also have a large breed puppy formula. I have also been looking into taste of the wild high prairie. Does anyone have any suggestions of some others that are good for the puppy?

Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't feed Nutro if it were given to me for free!!! There have been numerous recalls and issues with that food.

I require that my puppy buyers feed ProPlan chicken and rice puppy (not the shredded blend). It's what my puppies do best on. You might want to check with your breeder about switching foods because most reputable breeders are a bit fussy about what they want their puppies fed. THEY know what's best for their dogs and if you are trusting them enough to buy a puppy from them, then you need to trust them to know what works for their dogs in regards to feeding.

With a puppy you need to be VERY careful about calcium/phosphorus levels. Making a mistake can harm your puppy for life!

And BTW, Large Breed puppy formulas are unnecessary for Labrador puppies. Labs are not a large breed, rather a medium breed. LB foods are a gimmick thought up by the dog food companies.

Laura

Ruger55 is offline Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. I will stay away from nutro. She doesn't have a problem with switching the food. She just advised us to not switch within the first month due to the puppy having enough changes to deal with at this time. I will look into the pro plan formulas. Is there a certain one you suggest? I see there are a few different formulas.

Thank You

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Puppy Chicken and Rice - Dry Dog Food - FOCUS - Purina® Pro Plan®

That's the old Puppy Chicken and Rice. It's very similar to the Purina ONE puppy, but the ingredients are switched around a bit and I think the ProPlan is a bit better food. Just make sure it's not the Shredded Blend when you're in the store.

This is the crap you DO NOT want Shredded Blend Puppy Chicken & Rice - Dry Dog Food - SAVOR - Purina® Pro Plan®

Laura

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Pro Plan is better but ONE is fine. Why change?

My Hanna was being fed Purina when I first got her too. I wouldn't recommend any brands such as that listing ingredients such as ground corn, soy, by-products, gluten, animal fat, meat and bone meal, artificial colors, etc... all unnecessary additives that are harmful to your dog. I have since done my research on many bags of dog food and will never go back to those. If you're really looking for something more natural, I can recommend Diamond products such as Diamond Naturals(I have my dogs on this right now) or Diamond Naturals Grain-Free(brand new), Chicken Soup For the Dog Lovers Soul and Taste Of The Wild- all make formulas for puppies. I would also recommend other foods such as, Innova, Evo, Fromm, Solid Gold, Wellness, Orijen, Go! Natural, Now! Fresh and many others out there. There are also freeze-dried raw diets out there if you are really looking to avoid kibble altogether and go as natural as you can, then there's brands like Honest Kitchen, Ziwi Peak and Primal out there. Good luck with the food change!

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

Plenty of high quality foods use chicken fat as their fat source...even Orijen. You don't need to run around not considering foods that include fats.

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    Plenty of high quality foods use chicken fat as their fat source...even Orijen. You don't need to run around not considering foods that include fats.
    Not sure if this was towards my post or not; when I mentioned fat, it was when it's listed as "animal" fat.. it could be from anything. Chicken fat is actually fine. I would just be cautious if they don't name the exact source of their ingredients is all.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    My Hanna was being fed Purina when I first got her too. I wouldn't recommend any brands such as that listing ingredients such as ground corn, soy, by-products, gluten, animal fat, meat and bone meal, artificial colors, etc... all unnecessary additives that are harmful to your dog. I have since done my research on many bags of dog food and will never go back to those. If you're really looking for something more natural, I can recommend Diamond products such as Diamond Naturals(I have my dogs on this right now) or Diamond Naturals Grain-Free(brand new), Chicken Soup For the Dog Lovers Soul and Taste Of The Wild- all make formulas for puppies. I would also recommend other foods such as, Innova, Evo, Fromm, Solid Gold, Wellness, Orijen, Go! Natural, Now! Fresh and many others out there. There are also freeze-dried raw diets out there if you are really looking to avoid kibble altogether and go as natural as you can, then there's brands like Honest Kitchen, Ziwi Peak and Primal out there. Good luck with the food change!
    Considering all of the recalls Diamond foods have had that have sickened and killed dogs I wouldn't feed them to my dog if the gave away the stuff. All of the first 4 foods you have listed are manufactured by Diamond.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Considering all of the recalls Diamond foods have had that have sickened and killed dogs I wouldn't feed them to my dog if the gave away the stuff. All of the first 4 foods you have listed are manufactured by Diamond.
    That's why you stay up to date and always check the recalls on the food. They have the code on the bag you can check to see if it was recalled or not. Then again, many dog food brands recall their food, not just Diamond.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast