New Puppy - What to feed? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy - What to feed?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    Have you guys looked into Fromm? They have puppy and large breed puppy in their gold series.
    Fromm is an excellent food and no recalls!
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    The problem with Diamond is that they have very poor quality control in the plants they use and it's their negligent QC that has caused the recalls. So - you roll the dice, when you get their food, that they cleaned properly or not that week. I have no faith in an organization run like that.

So much smarter to choose differently than hope your dog is not the next victim.
    Well, it definitely beats having to buy grocery store brand foods like Purina, Pedigree, Kibbles & Bits, etc that are loaded with stuff they don't need and get allergic reactions from. If it were my choice, I would certainly be feeding my dogs the BARF diet and nothing more. I'm very short on money and saw how decent this food was.

What are other foods out there at low prices that don't relinquish quality besides Diamond? I'd like to be able to get a 40 or 50 lb bag for my money's worth.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Freckles is offline Member

Loki is on Nutro ultra as that's what the rescue was feeding him...and we bought the big $55 bag but now reading this I am thinking we need to change as soon as the bag is gone. This is by at the most confusing thing to me. Trying to find a decent food for him that won't make the household CFO go into a rage may prove to be a challenge...he was not thrilled with the cost of the Nutro as it was.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Is there a difference between the pro plan chicken and rice verses the lamb and rice? Or are they pretty much equal?

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

I've narrowed it down to Wellness Core, Fromm, Dr Tims, Orijen, Acana, and Brothers Complete. There are others too, of course. Dr. Tim's is next for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    Well, it definitely beats having to buy grocery store brand foods like Purina, Pedigree, Kibbles & Bits, etc that are loaded with stuff they don't need and get allergic reactions from. If it were my choice, I would certainly be feeding my dogs the BARF diet and nothing more. I'm very short on money and saw how decent this food was.

What are other foods out there at low prices that don't relinquish quality besides Diamond? I'd like to be able to get a 40 or 50 lb bag for my money's worth.

Chicken is very digestible and I would stick to that if possible. If you have a problem with chicken, then you can try other protein sources (lamb, buffalo, fish).

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    Is there a difference between the pro plan chicken and rice verses the lamb and rice? Or are they pretty much equal?

Chicken is very digestible and I would stick to that if possible. If you have a problem with chicken, then you can try other protein sources (lamb, buffalo, fish).
    Thank you...was wondering because I saw both when I looked online but the lamb was a bit cheaper so I wondered if there was a difference.

I've narrowed it down to Wellness Core, Fromm, Dr Tims, Orijen, Acana, and Brothers Complete. There are others too, of course. Dr. Tim's is next for me!
    I'm already familiar with Wellness, Fromm, Orijen and Acana but have never heard of the others.. they are really expensive! I can't see having to spend $50 on a small bag of dog food, there's just no way. I can only really see paying for something that is within the $30-$40 range for a bigger bag of food.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    I'm already familiar with Wellness, Fromm, Orijen and Acana but have never heard of the others.. they are really expensive! I can't see having to spend $50 on a small bag of dog food, there's just no way. I can only really see paying for something that is within the $30-$40 range for a bigger bag of food.
    I completely agree. The reason I am hoping Dr Tims works out is because the Kenesis $42 for a 30lb bag online. I know a high % of their protein is animal sourced, and that's really what I'm looking for.

How about that new Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy? Its grain free and seems super healthy! My pup was originaly on Diamond. Took him off that REAL quick!! He LOVES the Wilderness food. Everything i read online is great reviews.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast