What is the "Skinny" on Canidae All Life Stage food.

Thread: What is the "Skinny" on Canidae All Life Stage food.

FLEA is offline Member

DefaultWhat is the "Skinny" on Canidae All Life Stage food.

Some 17 years ago was when my boy Spud was a puppy. There wasn't alot of choice in food back then in my area and the internet was not around either to do research. Since we will be getting a new member in August I have started to research food and am amazed at the variety. I think I am going to go with the Canidae All life Stage food. Any thoughts or other recomendations would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Have you discussed this with the breeder you are getting your puppy from? For at least the first month or so it is important to keep your puppy on the food it is eating at the breeders so the puppy does not end up with tummy issues. Breeders are pretty knowledgeable about their dogs and know what foods work best. This is a question you should be asking your breeder. They are in a much better position to guide you in the best direction.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

FLEA is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Have you discussed this with the breeder you are getting your puppy from? For at least the first month or so it is important to keep your puppy on the food it is eating at the breeders so the puppy does not end up with tummy issues. Breeders are pretty knowledgeable about their dogs and know what foods work best. This is a question you should be asking your breeder. They are in a much better position to guide you in the best direction.
    Yes I asked...She feed Iams puppy. I was going to slowly wean the pup off the Iams and over to the Canidae ALS over the course of a few weeks. I just wanted to know if anyone here has been or is now using this type of food and if they liked it or not.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

I tried it and it did such a number on my dogs, it took almost a year before they were "normal" again. This is one of the foods I wouldn't feed if it were given to me for free.

Laura

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I feed it to my adults and have for ~15 yrs. Have been very happy. But, it's got too high of calcium for my puppies, so I wait until mine are a year old before using Canidae. I feed Eukanuba Lg Breed pup to my puppies.

I think it's best to ask your breeder what her dogs/pups eat, and use what works for that breeder. I've tried other brands too, and had bad results, so it's just one of those mileage varies things I guess.
    Last edited by windycanyon; 05-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

kb7kuh is offline Member

Labby, if I may ask what were the issues feeding the Canidae? Dodge has been on it since he was 6 months old, and is doing just fine.
    Don & Judy

FLEA is offline Member

I think what I will do is feed the pup Iams Puppy(breeder feed now) and gradually switch over at 6 months to the Canidae ALS.