Myoclonic seizures and Ehrlichiosis

Thread: Myoclonic seizures and Ehrlichiosis

Castaway is offline Senior Member

ExclamationMyoclonic seizures and Ehrlichiosis

Just in case its useful to anyone else the other day I had a worrying event. Abby (nearly 2yr old F ) had been happily lying by me when we both got up, suddenly I noticed Abby have, what I would have described as, an exaggerated startle response. I thought the cat had clawed her face(wouldnt be the first time) but said cat was nowhere near. I moved my leg towards her and it happened again. All kinds of thoughts went through my head as you can imagine, a sting, something affecting her sight... I watched her and this was happening every 30 seconds or so, other than that that she was fine.Still making Cheka's life a misery trying to make her play, but having these weird jerks, mainly of the head and neck but going through her body (have video but its too big to upload ) I started to think fits, and got busy on Google and came up with Myoclonic seizures.
    I rang the vet who said wait and see, they will probably pass on their own and no one will ever know why they happen, and may or may not recur. I was still trying to decide the next course of action when I found a tick on her. Abby is Strongholded every month, religiously (heartworm!)! But as has been discussed before, of course there is a period of time between the bite and the Stronghold (or any other such medication) taking effect. I recalled having seen an article on Ehrlichosis and fits, so looked a little more closely and myoclonic seizures seemed also to be a possible symptom of infection. I got back in touch with the vet who obviously hadn't thought of this, and we tested her next day; result positive.
    The seizures stopped after about 5 hours and now she is on Vibramycin for 20 days and no more seizures so far. Just a heads up because it would have been easy to listen to the vet and leave it and she would have got sicker. Hopefully I have caught it in the early stages.
    Last edited by Castaway; 05-22-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Very scary! Thank goodness you did not brush it off or listen to your vet. It is awesome that you recognized so quickly that something was not right. Prayers that she makes a full recovery.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Castaway is offline Senior Member

Thanks, I had to learn to be my own vet here, power to Google I say! Somehow its like your children you just know when things need a closer look. It was very weird, like someone having a tic or violent muscle twitches. Im sure we have it early enough to have a full cure.
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic370_1.gif The more people I meet the more I like my dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am glad she will most likely make a full recovery! My own vet told me he knows when an owner says "something is not right" he needs to listen, responsible owners often see things he might not pick up on.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.