Rumbly tummy issues

Thread: Rumbly tummy issues

cabinlady is offline Junior Member

DefaultRumbly tummy issues

I have a 6 year old lab named Sophie who for the last 3 months has been having some stomach problems. She has been to the vet twice during this period and had full blood work done and everything came back acceptable. It has been hard to find a kibble she will eat so we have been mixing the canned Science Diet ID in with her kibbles and that usually gets her started eating. We have been feeding her 3 to 4 meals a day with the last one being around 10 PM and she also takes an antacid pill in the AM an PM. Not every day but quite often her stomach starts rumbling about 7AM and if I can get one bite of fresh chicken with her antacid in it down her tummy the rumbling stops. Otherwise she wants to eat grass and puke. One suggestion a friend that works for a vet in another town said is the have her dewormed and if the symptoms come back send the stool sample off to have some special tests done on the sample.
    Has anyone else had this happen and how did you deal with the situation. We had another lab who has passed and she was an eager eater so this is different for us. Sophie has an abundance of energy and loves to play so I don't think it's anything serious especially since she has been checked out by 2 different vets.
    Amelia&#39;s pups<br />Ginger born in 1997<br />Sophie born Nov 23, 2006

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Science Diet I/D long term is not ideal, nor is an antacid. All you are doing is masking the problem and her urge to purge. What kibble are you feeding her?

She is on the new Pro Plan Duck and Rice Formula. She only needs the ID in the am to encourage her to eat breakfast. She eats her evening meals with kibbles only.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Have you ever tried her on a grain free kibble? Diesel was on Pro Plan and he was always puking, eating grass, tummy gurgles sounding like aliens in his belly. He was allergic to other things than just grains, but our vet said that grains can cause a lot of gas issues which attributes to the gurgly sounds - gas bubbles. Or it could be another ingredient that just doesn't agree with her... the duck?

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

What kibbles have you tried?

I have an older girl (8) and she basically decided which kibble she is eating...I have a GF for a dog with special needs, and she decided she liked that one. The grumbly tummy is probably her hungry, like empty tummy syndrome. You may want to find a kibble she likes and think about adding healthy toppers such as cooked meat and veggies, or a very GOOD canned (not I/D).

She is liking the duck Pro plan so far and has only been on it for 3 days and no gurgles since then. If this stops working I know Royal Canin has a duck formula too. Duck was just recommended by the vet so we thought we'd give it a try. Her stools have firmed up on this after being mushy on the Pro Plan shredded chicken. I have been adding a little fresh cooked chicken as a topping too. What would be a good canned dog food rather than ID?

Quote Originally Posted by cabinlady View Post
    She is liking the duck Pro plan so far and has only been on it for 3 days and no gurgles since then. If this stops working I know Royal Canin has a duck formula too. Duck was just recommended by the vet so we thought we'd give it a try. Her stools have firmed up on this after being mushy on the Pro Plan shredded chicken. I have been adding a little fresh cooked chicken as a topping too. What would be a good canned dog food rather than ID?
    It will take more than 3 days to be certain she is on the right food. Personally, I would not take advice on nutrition from a vet. Pro Plan is good, but I have heard to stay away from the shredded variety so perhaps that was the issue. Honestly, if you have a good food, there is no need to add anything to it, certainly not daily. I can see adding fresh cooked chicken once in awhile as a treat, but the kibble should be giving her all she really needs. I see absolutely no reason for a dog to be fed a canned food unless it is a digestive issue and they need the soft foods to aid in digestion getting over a bout of sickness, otherwise, no need.

Keep her on the duck Pro Plan for at least 3 weeks to ensure a full transition and full adjustment within her system, and for the next 3 weeks don't put anything else in her food. You have to isolate the issue - if her kibble is the problem you will never know if you are adding other things in.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabinlady View Post
    What would be a good canned dog food rather than ID?
    Anything.

Give the ProPlan Duck time to work. If I remember correctly this is a grain-free food. As you found out, the ProPlan Shredded ANYTHING is crap. It's a glorified KibblesNBits and generally is just garbage, which is why you couldn't get a solid stool while feeding it.

Laura

Still doing great on the Pro Plan duck. Just needs a little boost in the morning to get her eating her kibbles. The rest of the day she takes to them much better. The last of the Pro plan shredded chicken is gone!