Stress relievers?

Thread: Stress relievers?

DefaultStress relievers?

I was thinking about trying stress relievers with the dogs, looking at the Comfort Zone or thundershirts... do any of these actually work? Have any of you tried these? Thanks.

EDIT: I just find my dogs are always anxious all the time and maybe that causes them to bark. They are both quite fearful dogs, the complete opposite of calmness.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

The thundershirt does wonders for my anxious dog. I have tried most every product on the market, including meds, nothing has worked as well as the thundershirt.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

TeamBerger is offline Junior Member

You can also try Rescue Remedy. They sell it at Whole Foods and it comes in droplet form. Just put a couple of drops on a treat and give to your pup. It is pretty amazing how well it works. For Murphy it worked much better than the Thundershirt. They also have a formula for people but I have not tried it yet.

Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I was going to say Rescue Remedy too. Or a DAP diffuser.

They are anxious ALL the time? Can you not pinpoint some noise or event or something going on that makes them upset? It sounds a pretty miserable life to be fearful and anxious always. Or can you pinoint their not anxious times and work to make them longer? Boy, tough life for them.

TeamBerger is offline Junior Member

That's a good point. If they are anxious all the time you might want to see a behaviorist. Murphy has fear based aggression that started when he was a puppy by showing anxiety. We used rescue remedy and the DAP collar which helped in the beginning. After awhile the aggression increased and we saw a behaviorist. Ultimately Murphy is now non Fluoxetine (Prozac) which has worked wonders for him. Might be worth looking into as if it is bad it might really help out but obviously I would default to a brhaviorist's recommendations.

Thank you everyone for all the recommendations. I posted a thread about this another dog forum and they just ignored my thread.

My dogs aren't literally bouncing off the walls or anything, my Lab has lately been barking at any little sounds, while the other dog barks out of fear from being unsure and strangers. When I first got my Lab, she was so much more fearful of everything around her but she never barked and was real quiet. Now since i've moved(it's been 4 years now), she has learned to bark from not only the presence of people but also any noises indicating something or someone is outside. It's one or the other dog that will bark and I just cannot stand it anymore. It doesn't happen every single time, it's just starting to become annoying at times. I am currently trying a anti-bark spray collar but not so significant results. I thought if I could find something that isn't necessarily a negative punishment for them that it might actually help them both. I have trained my dogs and only one dog could use classes due to socialization issues but a behaviorist seems like it would cost even more money and I do not want to have to resort to that.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What steps have you taken to try to improve their socialization?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    What steps have you taken to try to improve their socialization?
    Well, my Lab Hanna is pretty much fine around strange people and dogs, meaning she doesn't "freak out" around them or bark.. she only barks when people open the door for instance. I've had someone ask me if they could pet her because she looked like such a well-behaved, friendly dog and she is. On the other hand, Sam my German Shepherd is the one who I cannot take around people because of his behavior- I'm more worried about him than Hanna because he did not get very good socialization as a young pup before I got him, his breeders apologized for that as it was not my fault. I have taken the dogs to dog parks, regular parks, random car rides, etc.. no pet stores or anything like that. Probably could of taken them out more though as I can admit. I just want to make their home environment not only more fulfilling but more comfortable and trusting.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.