Recommend age for neutering?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend age for neutering?

Jeffrey Williams is offline Junior Member

DefaultRecommend age for neutering?

I am sure this topic has been discussed here before, but can't find anything on the topic. On a recent vet visit my vet brought up having Jefferson neutered at 6 months. Is this the right age to have him neutered, seems to me I have seen some talk here about waiting till 12 months or even 18 months. Just wondering if I should have him nurtured at 6 months or wait. If I should wait longer, why ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There are many, many threads on this topic on this board. Waiting is better IF you are a responsible owner who will prevent your boy from having any access to intact females. If you are not willing to be vigilant and you choose to let your dog run or you leave him out in the yard unsupervised (where he can tunnel out or hop a fence) then neuter at 6 months.

There are benefits to development in leaving him intact. Puppies neutered early will grow taller and will not have correct structure and angulation. This can create more stress on joints and potentially increases risk of elbow and hip displaysia. There is a higher incidence of ACL injuries with dogs neutered before maturity. There is also a (very, very slight) increase in testicular cancer when a dog is kept intact longer - but it is truly miniscule. There are other cancers which are increased by neutering early.

Minimally wait until 12 months. Better to wait 18-24 months.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Did you get him from a reputable breeder? If so what od they say?

It is "safe" at 6 months and many people do it then happily. that is also when vets recommend doing it (though after a discussion with my vet she agreed for a male she would wait until he is done growing first). It is generally recommended to wait until the dog has finished growing before neutering (18 or so month of age depending on the lines).

here is a good collection of articles: Neutering Articles and Information
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Love.Dogs is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Williams View Post
    I am sure this topic has been discussed here before, but can't find anything on the topic. On a recent vet visit my vet brought up having Jefferson neutered at 6 months. Is this the right age to have him neutered, seems to me I have seen some talk here about waiting till 12 months or even 18 months. Just wondering if I should have him nurtured at 6 months or wait. If I should wait longer, why ?
    The are so many opinions on this topic and each vet and owner are different so I will give you my opinion. I agree with the other that 6 months and older tends to be "New" acceptable age to neuter but I also agree that it is important for development for dogs to keep their genitalia until they have grown to full size.

However for me it depends on the dog and what kind of work they will be doing. For the dogs I choose for police and rescue work I leave intact until 2 years old. But boy do they mark everything and mount every single female they can find. They go crazy when one of my other pups is in heat and they will roam to China to find a dog in heat.

There are studies going both ways on the whole "Neutering prevents Cancer Debate". Some say it is more of a preventative from the cancer if you neuter before 6 months and some say the opposite. Which is why I think most people generally fall into the neutering at 6-months space.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

There are plenty of people on this board with intact males and females in their homes and no issues with marking or going crazy to get at females. It all depends on how you train the dog. My younger dog was intact until maturity and never once marked indoors.

And I have had spayed females who DID mark.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Drakes Mommy is offline Junior Member

We spoke with our vet about this and they said with big dogs the longer you wait, the better. The younger they are the more problems they will have. Since they are not females you don't have to do it before their first heat or anything like that you don't have a time limit really. She told us if we go that route, that the best age to really do it is at 12-18 months.

bett is offline Senior Member

from what i understand, 18 -24 months for a male, and after a first heat for a female.

of course, if you allow your dog to "roam" all bets are off.
    being responsible is part of the deal to dog ownership, , so i would wait and not allow any roaming. not left alone in a yard. (i had dogs that climbed a 6 ft cyclone fence, for no real reason other than they could).
    and marking can be controlled, if you are paying attention .
    as far as mounting, that too, can be stopped. even neutered and spayed dogs will try it, if allowed.

nicole is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Love.Dogs View Post
    But boy do they mark everything and mount every single female they can find. They go crazy when one of my other pups is in heat and they will roam to China to find a dog in heat.
    These are training issues.

I agree with discussing this with both your breeder and vet and then do a little of your own research and go from there.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I just had Maxx neutered at 21 months. He never marked anything, tried to escape my yard or mounted any female dog. That is unacceptable behavior.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kaykay is offline Senior Member

i kept jayson intact till 10 days shy of being 18 months. only issue i had was he liked to mark in pet stores but i nipped that in the butt right away. had no issues with humping till now that my female puppy is in heat. hes been neutered for a yr now. i would suggest waiting till hes 18-24 months if you can make sure that he will have no access to females in heat.
    Kristin

jayson

laika

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast