Really concerned about Pearl...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really concerned about Pearl...

LarryBeall is offline Junior Member

DefaultReally concerned about Pearl...

So Pearl has been eating and drinking fine, until today. This morning when I took her out for our walk she pooped, but it was really dry. Almost sand like. I was immediately concerned. Then when we came in she didn't drink any water or eat her food. This is pretty odd for her as she usually gulps down half her bowl of water then downs her food a little bit later. So we watched her through the day and she still wasn't drinking. She did eat half of her breakfast but no water. Finally early this afternoon we decided to give her some chipped ice. She seemed to eat that with no problem, but she still won't drink water. I have cleaned her bowl, gave her fresh water. Gave her filtered water and gave her a different bowl in a new location. Nothing seems to work. I'm really concerned and the vet isn't open on Sundays. Will she be ok until tomorrow? For those that do not know or remember she is an 80lbs Black lab. Thanks for your support and advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I would continue to get chipped ice in her but definitely call your vet first thing in the AM if not be there waiting for them to open. From experience I know a change in eating and/or drinking habits us often the only sign you will get from a dog that something is very wrong.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

Do you put water on her food? Try that (it's better for them to feed that way) but she should be seen by a vet when you can.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Has she had any bones? I always noticed a marked change in poops when my boys have had real bones to gnaw on; it is white, dry, harder, and almost powdery if they have really been on a power chew.

Do you leave food out for your pup all the time? That is a mistake. They should be fed at regular times and in measured amounts, so you know exactly how much they are eating. As Laura (Labby) suggested, put water on the food.

Please update us on how your pup is doing.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

citronella is offline Senior Member

Good luck and let us know how it is going. I gave Laci a bone once and she got so constipated and pooped rocks, so wondering if that is the issue too. I don't give her certain bones anymore.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

I'm worried. It's now the 15th and no follow up report. Please tell us Pearl is OK. I hope so much that she is.

Sorry guys. We got busy. She had a full blood workup and urine tests. She also had xrays done. Everything was clear. We are treating a slight respiratory thing that was heard in her lungs and she started drinking on Tuesday before she was given any medication. She was also given a liter of water subcutaneously.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Glad to hear she is doing better! Keep a close eye on what she eats and limit her access to bones and antlers.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If this happens again give her canned chicken broth and see if she will drink it. It will keep her hydrated till you can get her to the vet. Glad she is better

The only reason we didn't do broth this time was because the vet was really concerned it was pancreatitis and didn't want to chance making things worse, but I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. Btw, our fence was finished the other day and she just loves to go out there and run around. She does laps in the yard, its awesome. Then she goes and flops down and suns herself. I just love her to pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast