Dandruff and Itching

Thread: Dandruff and Itching

Capn. Kirk is offline Junior Member

DefaultDandruff and Itching

I have a 6 month old black lab, and have had him for only 3 months. He is having skin problem's which I have found out are quite common with labs. I got him in February and got him with flaky skin. I assumed it was because it was winter and he was in a garage converted kennel. I have him on Orijen which is grain free and arguable the closest food to raw. I had him on Salmon oil, but switch to marine oil. My problem is that his skin is still so dandruffy and he is constantly itchy. It's not deathly itching but it's more than I find normal. He is mostly itchy at his groin area, and base of tail (has hair loss here). My vet said bathe him with oatmeal shampoo which I have and didn't notice a difference. I got a oatmeal, tea tree medicated shampoo, but still haven't noticed that much of a difference. I don't know what to do!! I also gave him his revolution already in case it was a dermatitis issue. I don't know what else to try. I am going to switch the protein of his dog food from chicken to fish, and hoping that will help. Are powder supplements possible an option? I feel so bad that he isn't comfortable and is constantly itchy and the dandruff looks bad. My vet told me there is nothing I can do to help him.
    Last edited by Capn. Kirk; 05-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

If there is NOT an on going flea issue, just one flea bite can cause a flea allergy and result in skin issues. Personally I would not continue changing the food you are feeding your puppy. That is not a road you want to walk down. Stick with food and a good quality salmon oil twice daily. Cut out the bathing also.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-12-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I'd bring him to a canine dermatologist and have a skin scraping done. Hair loss is not normal and there is clearly a problem with his skin that is beyond cosmetic.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely stop the bathing. That can cause the skin to dry out and have dandruff. It is possible the previous owners bathed him too often and caused the problem to start with.

Stop the Revolution. That can cause reactions.

You can try adding a supplement called Missing Link; it has most of the things your dogs needs to have a healthy coat and strong joints.

Not every food works on every dog, so maybe Orijen is not the right one for your pup.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Love.Dogs is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    Definitely stop the bathing. That can cause the skin to dry out and have dandruff. It is possible the previous owners bathed him too often and caused the problem to start with.

Stop the Revolution. That can cause reactions.

You can try adding a supplement called Missing Link; it has most of the things your dogs needs to have a healthy coat and strong joints.

Not every food works on every dog, so maybe Orijen is not the right one for your pup.
    I agree with this completely, too much bathing doesn't allow the dog to build up natural oils on their skin.