After a 4 hour vet visit, I have updates! (also bad news)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a 4 hour vet visit, I have updates! (also bad news)

Tiny is offline Junior Member

DefaultAfter a 4 hour vet visit, I have updates! (also bad news)

It was only 4 hours because we tried out a new vet and an emergency came in not long after us. A guy brought in newborn kittens covered in fleas and ticks. Eek.

Okay so they told me what I thought they would. She has a really severe flea allergy, they looked her over and confirmed she didn't have fleas, but of course one random bite can make her breakout.
    Another problems is that they said she has a mild staph infection. I guess from rolling in the grass to try and itch. So they gave her an antibiotic shot I believe while testing for heartworms(that was fine, it was a new vet so they didn't want to give her flea and heartworm pills until they knew she was healthy)
    They also prescribed prednisone 20mg to be given twice daily for 3 days then cut back to one a day. She's also supposed to have cefpodoxime proxetil(200mg) every day(two tablets)
    I feel bad drugging her up so much but I guess that's what you have to do. :/ We have a follow-up in two weeks so I'm hoping for the best!

So I guess I was in denial about it. I was mildly aware of my dog's weight problem. I think somewhere I stated that she was 85lbs. She's actually 91.
    I'm not sure what's normal for labs? She's not that big. I feel like she should be 70 because some dogs came in her size and weighed as that. She's part lab but I feel like she's more lab than pit because even the vet wrote on her papers that she was a lab. But she is really wide and has a bit of a belly. We only feed her 1 cup of dry in the morning(call of the wild) and then a can during the evening(iams or pedigree). The vet said that was pretty standard considering her size but suggested we cut back 25% and feed her green beans to keep hunger away since their filling. Does anyone know anything about dog weight loss?
    We're going back in two weeks for a follow-up, the look on her face kind of worried me so I don't know if there's a problem with her being so big even though we don't feed her that much or give her people food. I know I don't walk her every day because I felt like being in the heat made her skin worse but I know people who have dogs that NEVER walk them and they're lean (golden doodle and a GSD mix)
    Should I be worried about that?

Also is anyone familiar with banfield? We got the essential wellness plan with them and it was actually a pretty good deal. Everyone was so nice there and they loved Sadie. Pretty sure Banfield is commercial and country-wide..

Edit:
    Oh and here's what she looks like. She doesn't look fat from the front or when she sits. But if you're by her side when she's standing, you can see it. That's at the vet's office with my dad :P

Edit AGAIN:
    Comparison photo of when I got her a little over 2 years ago. I HAVE to be doing something wrong. The only difference is that she was a year old. Right after this she had her first menstrual cycle and got fixed(the shelter was overbooked so they couldn't fix her right away)
    Last edited by Tiny; 05-11-2013 at 05:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

I'm glad you were able to get some answers from the vet.
    As far as weight, 90 lbs does seem a bit hefty for a dog her side. A lot of people do the green bean trick (either frozen or canned no-salt) to help with weight loss, but increasing her exercise would be great too.
    I'm in FL too so I understand how bad the heat and humidity is. I end up walking mine early in the morning, before the pavement gets too hot. I also decrease the amount of food he gets in the summer, because it is just too hot for him to be as active outside. I am able to take mine to the beach occasionally for swimming, but I saw you said she is scared of the waves
    My guy is on some steroids too right now (not prednisone though) and it has made him very tired and even less tolerant of the heat, so beware of that.
    Good luck with everything!

Tiny is offline Junior Member

Do you think one walk in the morning would help?
    I work full time and even though I take my pups to work with me, that doesn't mean I can go out romping with them. ;P And in the evening do you think it would be bad? It doesn't really cool off right away but at least the sun wouldn't be too bad.
    I'm deff gonna try the green beans. I'm just not sure how much would be beneficial? She didn't really specify. Like a handful between breakfast and dinner?
    I really want to get her more comfortable with the beach. But I need to focus on one problem at a time haha. And she already has two.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

You can add the greenie beanies to the kibble - they love that and never even notice that the kibble has been decreased that way. We fed 1 can (half each mean) per day. Also - if it's too hot outside for her/sunny etc - we used to play hall ball in the house - if you've got a long hallway, you can just shut the doors and throw the ball down the hall - fetch, throw, repeat....I think any type of walk - even just a short early moring one - is better than none - it might not really speed up the weight loss, but it will help her get into condition. You will find as you have her out for walks more (over time) that she will get somewhat more used to heat and then you can go a bit longer. Good luck!

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

oh, yeah - greenie beanies - my labs loved 'em so much, they would DANCE when they heard the can opener - and were disappointed if it wasn't their can...hence they became greenie beanies!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Glad you were able to get answers.

Some foods can make them fatter. I won a bag of Eukanuba and while I was out of town Ernie was fed it. It didn't take long before he looked like a small coffee table. I kept cutting his food down and they vet said cut it back more. He was almost having grains of it. I threw it out, went back to other food and he lost the weight.

The Pred will help. I hate it too, but there are times you need it.
    I think I said in the other post Ernie has been on Pred for 5 years. Tessa has been on it 18 months. I cut it back for her, and as soon as she flares up I give her another and she stops itching. I always think put myself in the dogs place. Imagine having a flea bite or sandfly bite. I would go mad if I couldn't put something on it.

My vet said it is better to break the cycle than continue with it getting worse, and makes sense to me.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I also add green beans to the evening meal of my 2. About a cup and a half, 28 calories) to their kibble amount. They never seemed to miss the decrease in food! They also get carrots, green beans, assorted fruits, etc instead of treats. I can use them for training treats when they deserve the treat. As above, make sure to slowly decrease the amount of kibble.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

If you cannot get the low-sodium green beans, put the can of beans in a collendar(sp) and rinse them with water before you give them to the dog. You can put the leftover half in a baggie and put in the fridge until the next meal.

Laura

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Frozen green beans are considerably cheaper and far healthier than canned. Most do not contain sodium.
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on finding a vet who knows what they are doing. Most would just try to sell you a special diet food. I've successfully reduced the girth of one of my Labs with green beans supplementing for the reduction in volume of kibble. Works really well.

I also use frozen GB. I rinse them and nuke them to defrost. Both of my dogs get them with each meal.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast