Severe skin problems? Going crazy. Several questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe skin problems? Going crazy. Several questions

Tiny is offline Junior Member

QuestionSevere skin problems? Going crazy. Several questions

I'm not going crazy. My dog is. (well maybe I'm going crazy with worry)
    Every summer when it gets hot and humid here in Florida, my lab-pit mix Sadie breaks out in red bumps and scabs on her lower belly, inside her legs, the base and underneath of her tail.
    We've tried everything. When we took her to the vet last summer they suggested benadryl and medicated baths. Benadryl is only used when she is running around the house rubbing against things frantically and when she does this weird twist while she's sitting, like she's trying to scratch her butt. She often gets to the point of bleeding.
    I looked out on the porch this morning to see spots of blood all near the area of the door where she does her weird break dance itch. I don't recall it being as bad last summer but maybe I just can't remember.
    We give her epsom salt baths when it gets really bad but that is very temporary.
    We've tried many different dog shampoos for sensitive skin, head and shoulders, all natural dog shampoo. Nothing really works. I don't want her to lose fur again like last summer but it's already thinning out near the base of her tail.
    We've also tried dozens of food. We're currently about to put her on Call of The Wild Pacific Stream in hopes that it strengthens the health of her skin. But I feel like food won't really help since it seems to be seasonal.
    We're going to take her to the vet saturday, and I want to know what to ask and what to tell them. And what to stay away from if they suggest something. I'm not a big fan of putting her on steroids or making her sleepy. I love her wild and energetic puppy personality(she is 3) and Sadie Sue just wouldn't be the same if she was lethargic.
    My first dog was a chocolate lab and he never had this problem. How common is this? It makes me fear owning a lab again, even though they are my favorite dog breed and Sadie is one of the best dogs I've had.

Has anyone had similar problems to this being seasonal? I can only find cases where it's constant or something. And what has worked for you? I feel so bad seeing her suffer and it breaks my heart.

Sorry if any of these questions seem stupid. I'm only 18 and I've only owned 3 dogs in my life. (two being labs) I just want to find a solution and I'm not too fond of the current vet we see. We're actually about to go see someone new. Please be patient! Haha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

What about flea control? Have you checked her for fleas?
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

For me if a steroid helps get over the bad time I use it at as low a dose I can to keep them comfortable. I would do whatever the vet suggests.

I understand and hate steroids myself, but they do help. Tessa has bad allergies and seeing her rub herself on the concrete is more than I can bear so I do what I can to help her. She has seasonal and food. I home cook and it has made a huge difference.

Pred has never made mine sleepy. They are more hungry and thirsty. Neither have gained weight either. Both have lost weight.Ernie was on Pred for 5 years. Only reason he is off it is because we want to do more for his hips.
    Last edited by kassabella; 05-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I don't think Epsom Salts baths are appropriate for a dog and human shampoos are not the correct pH. You might try an oatmeal based dog shampoo. If Benedryl works - why not use it daily? If it inhibits the reaction, that is the course I would take. You can get generic versions cheaply.

My guess would be that this is an environmental allergy since it is on her skin and seasonal. A food allergy would not happen seasonally.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, see a canine dermatologist.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

She has no fleas. That's the first thing I always check for. I don't even recall her ever having fleas.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    She has no fleas. That's the first thing I always check for. I don't even recall her ever having fleas.
    You live in Florida and don't have fleas? That's a first. She could have fleas and you don't see them. Do you see any flea dirt around her tail? Otherwise, yes this is definitely a seasonal thing and the benedryl could help her greatly during the itchy season.

Laura

Trust me. No fleas. :/ I know all about fleas and flea dirt. We even have given her flea medicine before and the problem would still persist.

But the only problem with benadryl is that it doesn't last long enough. Not even a full day. 2-4 hours at the most.

labby is offline Senior Member

Ok, just checking. Maybe a dermo vet is the way to go for now. I know some are using other antihistamines which last longer than benedryl.

Unfortunately, your only other option is low dose steroid, which as the others have said isn't a first choice, but does have its usefulness.

Laura

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Does your pup swim a lot? If so, do you make sure she is dried off completely afterwards? She could be picking something up from the water, especially if she swims in canals, but also from dew on high grass. If she goes out early and gets wet from dew, dry her off every time and see if that helps.

One of the other members (Bob Pr.) has a Lab who would get similar spots on her and he found out it was from her getting wet from dew on their walks and not being dried off right away.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

My dog is actually afraid of the water. We adopted her at a year old so I don't think she was ever introduced and we haven't spent too much time trying to get her comfortable with it. But she does love mud puddles. Just not the big crashing ocean. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast