Your opinions please. I don't care if you say you would go one way or another. I just want to know what others feel they would do and why.
If there was a chance for improvement in the quality if life, absolutely. Definitely not for selfish reasons or to buy time that would prolong any suffering.
Maxx & Emma Jean
Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.
Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.
It honestly depends what the prognosis was if I did do surgery and chemo, the age of the dog, quality of life of the dog, etc. I'm sorry if this is something you are dealing with right now
I would do surgery if removal would give him more pain free time. Having been through chemo for lymphoma for my boxer, I have to say I don't think I could do it again. It only gave her 6 months and was debilitating and traumatic for her for her last 3 treatments. The first 2 went great, we were so happy. Then it just all went down hill from there. She was only 6. Its been 2 years since she died and I'm still shaken up about it. This was lymphoma though not bone cancer. I'm sorry if you are going through this and wish you the best.
Todd, Yellow Lab, 1/4/13
Mr. Utley, Welsh Corgi, 2/20/02
I am sorry you are face with this.
Go too the Bone cancer link at the bottom of my siggy. There is a mile of information help and support.
Kass had chemo for bone cancer of the jaw and she came through the chemo ok. Amp take away the pain and buy you time. How much time no one really knows. If you go with the amp route chemo is the best thing to do to clean up any dirty margins.
Charlie a chocolate Lab is 2 years post amp and doing amazingly on 3 legs. Niki who passed recently died due to other things was about 4 years post surgery. Others sadly not so long. At the moment Ellen (Charlies Mum) and several others who have lots of information are on so think picking their brains would be a good idea.
What would I do?. Even after being there and being part of the Bone Cancer group for over 7 years I honestly can't say what I would do. As others have said it depends on the age, the dog, and other factors.
Last edited by kassabella; 05-09-2013 at 07:49 AM.
If my dog was young and there was a chance for her to have a few more years of life and also to be pain free-yes. I would do it in a heartbeat.
It would depend on age, prognosis and the dog's will and demeanor.
I ask because of Sadie, Bman's sister. She's only 6. Wonderful dog, her owners' heart dog. They have elected to not do the surgery/chemo route for their own reasons. I have to bite my tongue each time we go there not to push my opinion on them-she is my puppy but not my dog. I would do the surg/chemo in a heartbeat because I feel it would relieve her pain. My husband feels the same way as the owners, no surg/chemo. I guess I look at it from the angle of someone who has had 2 dogs go through cancer and chemo for mast cell and come out on the other side for the better. I know it's not the same chemo for bone cancer but I could not go the rest of my life wondering "what if I had tried?" I will continue to support my friends and Sadie in their decision, but I just wanted to know what others would do in a similar situation.
Many do not do the surgery. It is very hard on them and depending on how far advanced the cancer is it could still go to the lungs. Many people can't see a dog lose a leg and think of it as disfigurement. Weighting up those things, with the cost when the odds are not great is understandable. As I said even for me knowing the odds, having been on the OS roller coaster I am not sure what I would do if it were me with those odds. I often wonder if I put Kassa through too much and did I keep her here for me. She was happy and fought, but there is still that doubt.
There is no right or wrong decision. I think now the best you can hope for is Sadie is as pain free as they can make it.
Good thoughts coming.
We elected not to for Fanny. She had it in her rear left leg above the knee. We lost her January 2012 and I still cry brokenheartedly over it.
Amputation was eliminate the pain but would not cure the cancer. She had hip dysplaysia in both hips and bad arthritis so her other leg was not in good shape either. As there was no cure and the effects of chemo were not pretty, we decided to make her as comfortable as we could and let her do what she wanted. The costs were prohibitive also and there was no guarantee it would work. She was 9 and either way was given 3-6 months.
She was diagnosed in April 2011 and dies last year. We researched some holistic healing methods and she had some pretty good pain meds. She was able to go to the bark park a few times a week where she would walk and swim and come home with a big grin on her face the whole time.
For us, this was the best decision, it isn't an easy one. Good luck.