Question about 10 month old male eating
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about 10 month old male eating

bmschoen is offline Junior Member

DefaultQuestion about 10 month old male eating

I have a 10 month old male yellow lab. I got him at 7 weeks old. We live in a rural area. I took my local vets advice and went with science diet food since he recommended it and was easy to get from him. For the first 8 months he was on large breed puppy and did well, he loved the food. At 8 months I went in for a new bag and it was suggested I now go with large breed adult food. It just seemed like right off the bat he didn't like it as well. I didn't think much of it and thought maybe that was normal and would get better. We are on our second bag now and it still just doesn't seem like he is eating as much as he should. I've started really measuring what he was eating and he barely ate 2 cups of food each day for the last 2. Does this sound normal? I've also started researching more and doesn't sound like Science Diet is as good as my vet says it is. Living in a rural area about the only other thing we have locally is Purina, Iams, Pedigree etc. anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? Does 2 cups dry food sound normal for 10 month old male?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I am not a fan of Science Diet. Your vet recommends it because he gets kick backs for it.

Have you tried looking at a farm store for dog food? Some will carry some good brands. My local Farm and Garden carries Taste Of The Wild (which is what I feed, it is grain free), other farm stores carry some other acceptable brands. Also, many people feed Purina ProPlan (NOT the shredded crap).

Two cups a day is within the relm of normal. My three males eat about two cups a day (one eats three).

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely change foods, but always measure how much you feed him at any time, never leave a bowl full for him to just eat at will. You need to know how much your dog is eating every day.

I am also in a rural area. Tractor Supply carries several brands (I feed their 4Health kibble, it's grain free) and all feed stores carry several brands. Purina is fine; if he eats it, has a good coat, acts normal and is healthy, then what you are feeding works for your dog. My guys can't eat wheat, corn, or soy without getting gunky ears and itching a lot, so I feed grain-free.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree with Karen and do not like Science Diet, definitely not a food I would feed. At that age my male was eating 3 cups per day divided in to 2 meals. If you live in a rural ares, like I do, I am sure you have feed stores, as Karen suggested. Purina Pro Plan is a food many feed with success. I buy Fromm at our local feed store, they also sell a large variety of other premium foods.

ETA - Labs are not large breed dogs and do not need large breed formulas of food.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 05-07-2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

My vet actually told me at this age it would not hurt for him to be on "full feed". Fill the bowl up and when it's empty fill it up again.
    He spends a lot of the day in his kennel when we are at work. When we leave at 7:30 I put 4 cups of food in his bowl. When we get home he usually comes out for several hours of play time and then back in for maybe 30 mins before coming into the house for bed.

By bedtime he still has around 2 cups of food left in the bowl is how I know he is only eating 2 cups.

I will check around today at the farm supply store and see what they have.
    When I say I live in a rural area I mean my town has 900 people in it. The nearest Tractor Supply is 100 miles away!

doubletrouble25 is offline Senior Member

Did you get your pup from a breeder? What does the breeder have to say about the dog's diet? Personally, I would go with the breeder's advice on food way before I asked my vet. Breeders generally know what types of food their puppies and dogs do best on. My breeder recomended eukanuba large breed puppy for kai until 9 months, and then eukanuba large breed adult afterward. I know a lot of people on here feed purina proplan and their dogs do great on it. I don't agree with your vet on "full feeds" for a lab. If I did that with Kai, she would eat everything in one sitting and then end up with a big, distended belly for a few hours.. and then be starving and looking for dinner at night

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

UPS delivers to your house right? You can order WHATEVER food you want these days....as long as UPS delivers to your address.

Honestly, a vet that recommends free feeding needs to be your OLD vet. He can't be the only vet in your town.

I prefer Pro Plan. I would go with Sport 26/16 if you can get it and start with 2 cups a meal.

labby is offline Senior Member

Switch to ProPlan Chicken and Rice but not the Shredded Blend. Your vet recommended the Science Diet because he sells it. And no, 2 cups of food isn't enough for a 10 month old male.

Laura

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmschoen View Post

My vet actually told me at this age it would not hurt for him to be on "full feed". Fill the bowl up and when it's empty fill it up again.
    Your vet is an idiot and find another one.

Laura

Then he goes and eats 3 1/2 cups today.....never consistent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast