Food question

Thread: Food question

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood question

I feed Judy, Bruno, and Duke exactly the same food/treats: Diamond Naturals Lamb and rice/variety snaps/Chicken tenders (dehydrated chicken). I tried the chicken and beef varieties of Diamond Naturals too. They are all apparently healthy. Judy and Duke do one or two poopings a day, small and firm, and almost never let off bad gas. Bruno, on the other hand, goes more often, every time he goes outside, and his poop is large, soft, lighter in color, sometimes runny. You could smell it a mile away. Moreover, he often emits a gas that could gag a maggot. I have tried adding pumpkin, but want to try some other foods for him. Don't know why the big difference in dogs, but Judy is extremely laid back and Bruno is type A. Any dog food suggestions for Bruno will be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

vickig is offline Member

I'm hoping for an answer for this, too. One dog seems fine on any food, the other definitely has a more sesitvie stomach. Am in the process of changing from Wellness to Innova to see if it helps the poo and the gas. Sorry I don't have an answer, tho'

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Champ was exactly like Bruno on everything I tried the boys on until we tried Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream version. Some were worse than others; anything with grains in it was horrible. His stools still are not quite as firm as Buddy's, but they are much better than they were on anything else. We have to make sure he gets no wheat or corn, and very limited sugar.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Chicken and beef can do that to some dogs.. sounds like Bruno might have a slight allergy to chicken or beef... but I think dogs are more often allergic to chicken.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Top three allergens (food) for dogs are beef, dairy, wheat. It does sound like food allergy - I'd try a simple solutions/limited ingredient diet for at least 8 weeks with no outside treats and see if his signs improve. Then you can either stick with that food, or add in new foods (about 1 c. at a time, for two weeks at a time).

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Update: I have had him on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream for two days, and so far it looks good.(smells better too) Thanks, Champ's Mom.