Awful 24hrs (Thoughts?)

Thread: Awful 24hrs (Thoughts?)

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

DefaultAwful 24hrs (Thoughts?)

So Thursday night Molly started throwing up around midnight and did so for hours. She emptied her stomach and then retched for a bit, pooped and fell back asleep. We weren't sure what caused it, but thought it may have been all the treats from the last night of training class. We fed her a smaller breakfast around 8am and all was fine for about 3 hours. Then she vomited the breakfast and continued retching for quite a while, so we decided to bring her to the vet. Molly was becoming so lethargic, it was very scary. She did xrays and saw 2 gas pockets in her intestine behind a lot of fecal matter. So the vet said it was very possible she ingested something that was not showing up on the xray. She told us we could either take her to a (semi) local vet hospital for ultrasound and possible surgery, or she would give her an injection of anti-nausea and put her on a bland diet for 12 hours and see what happens. At this point, she was literally laying wherever we put her and not moving. I elected to take her for the ultrasound. 5 hours, an ultrasound, and a complete blood panel later, they found nothing. They injected a large amount of liquid under her skin and gave her an anti-nausea shot.

Aside from being annoyed at being much poorer with no answers, I still am not sure what could have caused this. She is acting much more normal this morning, and I'm going to feed her some rice and pumpkin. Anyone ever went through this or venture a guess as to what was happening?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Only thing I can think is she vomited up whatever was causing the issue. I know it is gross but always check my dog's vomit.
    Deep Run Traveling "Takoda" (12/05/12)

Deep Run Easygoing Ezekial "Zeke" (04/13/17)

labby is offline Senior Member

Good for you to take her to the vet. Unfortunately, you may never know what caused it. Part of the fun of owning Labs.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    Anyone ever went through this or venture a guess as to what was happening?
    It could have been anything. MAYBE something she ate at class? As Laura said, you'll probably never know.

I always keep a packet of glucose powder in the pantry as first aid. The second either of mine start throwing up, I add it to their drinking water. If they're still throwing up about an hour later or it's really bad, then obviously it's off to the vet. Glucose has saved me 99% of the time.

I hope everything is back to normal soon including your bank balance. That sounded like an expen$ive exercise.

Can you tell me more about the glucose powder? I tried Googling it for this use but didn't see anything. The whole ordeal was about $1,100. I probably would not have done all of those tests done if I didn't have the insurance to cover it. It's not that I chose to do unnecessary testing, but I figure I pay for the insurance for these instances, so I should do what the vet recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    It could have been anything. MAYBE something she ate at class? As Laura said, you'll probably never know.

I always keep a packet of glucose powder in the pantry as first aid. The second either of mine start throwing up, I add it to their drinking water. If they're still throwing up about an hour later or it's really bad, then obviously it's off to the vet. Glucose has saved me 99% of the time.

I hope everything is back to normal soon including your bank balance. That sounded like an expen$ive exercise.

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    Can you tell me more about the glucose powder? I tried Googling it for this use but didn't see anything. The whole ordeal was about $1,100. I probably would not have done all of those tests done if I didn't have the insurance to cover it. It's not that I chose to do unnecessary testing, but I figure I pay for the insurance for these instances, so I should do what the vet recommends.
    This stuff:

Glucodin Powder 325g - Pharmacy Direct - Home - Pharmacy Direct

Bear in mind this is the Aussie packaging. It could be marketed under dozens of names in the US. Here, it's readily available in the supermarkets or pharmacies. I find it settles their stomachs really quickly. What's (usually) the first thing they do after throwing up? Mine go straight to the water bowl. In doing so, they get the benefit of it straight away.

Bear started eating grass the other day. That nearly always ends up in him throwing up. Sure enough, about an hour later ............ I added the glucose to the water & fixed it straight away. I use 1 heaped dessert spoon/litre of water.

As always, don't take my word for it. Check with your vet first. I told my vet years ago what I do & he told me I couldn't do better. Your vet might have a totally different opinion.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

something similar happened to me with a foster. He was fine, then suddenly he wasn't. TOTALLy lethargic - I have never ever seen anything like it. He wouldn't move. When you came into the house or room he lifted his head maybe a little and that was it. From a dog that woudl jump all over you. He puked a lot as well. he went from gulping each meal to not eating, refusing any and all food. for 48 hours. There were many trips to the vet, x-rays, blood panels with nothing. There was a gas pokcet though.

anyway, he felt better after 48 or so longggg hours. While we never figured out why, I assumed it was the gas. Which pissed me off because had the first vet told us to try gas-x or whatever he coudl have felt better sooner.

From that point on I only fed in slow down bowls or toys. and it never happened again but - I only had him about 4-6 weeks.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Yeah, she is completely normal now. Actually super hungry, because we are feeding bland and gradually increasing to her normal amount. Now I feel like I would be more inclined to wait it out if this happened again, but Murphy's Law says that will be when something is actually majorly wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    something similar happened to me with a foster. He was fine, then suddenly he wasn't. TOTALLy lethargic - I have never ever seen anything like it. He wouldn't move. When you came into the house or room he lifted his head maybe a little and that was it. From a dog that woudl jump all over you. He puked a lot as well. he went from gulping each meal to not eating, refusing any and all food. for 48 hours. There were many trips to the vet, x-rays, blood panels with nothing. There was a gas pokcet though.

anyway, he felt better after 48 or so longggg hours. While we never figured out why, I assumed it was the gas. Which pissed me off because had the first vet told us to try gas-x or whatever he coudl have felt better sooner.

From that point on I only fed in slow down bowls or toys. and it never happened again but - I only had him about 4-6 weeks.