Coconut oil

Thread: Coconut oil

QuestionCoconut oil

Decided to give coconut oil a try with the dogs and just started a few weeks ago.. going very slow with it, small amounts everyday. Up to a tsp and a bit more.

What I wanted to know - when will you start to notice any of the benefits? I can't tell yet.

My Lab, Hanna obviously suffers from sensitive/itchy skin due to allergies either food-related and/or seasonal and she also gets ear infections that spring up out of nowhere, especially now since it's getting warmer out and the season is changing up. I was feeding fish oil before and it seemed to work for her coat, but recently stopped giving them because they are known to ruin easily with the temperature and I couldn't feed them to my other dog because he was getting sick to his stomach from them. So, I switched to sardines in place of fish oil.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I started my two on coconut oil about 2-3 weeks ago. I am now seeing some changes. Kaity suffers from allergies and gets gunky eyes. No more gunky eyes. Her ears have cleared up some too. No real difference in coat, but that might take more time.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thesilentone View Post
    Decided to give coconut oil a try with the dogs and just started a few weeks ago.. going very slow with it, small amounts everyday. Up to a tsp and a bit more.

What I wanted to know - when will you start to notice any of the benefits? I can't tell yet.

My Lab, Hanna obviously suffers from sensitive/itchy skin due to allergies either food-related and/or seasonal and she also gets ear infections that spring up out of nowhere, especially now since it's getting warmer out and the season is changing up. I was feeding fish oil before and it seemed to work for her coat, but recently stopped giving them because they are known to ruin easily with the temperature and I couldn't feed them to my other dog because he was getting sick to his stomach from them. So, I switched to sardines in place of fish oil.
    What do you feed Hanna? Sometimes going with a grain-free food will alleviate the itchies and ear problems.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Careful with the amounts of coconut oil you give, particularly if your dog has had any prior issues with pancreatitis. We have had two dogs in the last month with acute pancreatitis after their owners started them on coconut oil. One did not survive. Just saying.

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

1 TBSP once a day for 68 and 110 llb pound dogs. Does that sound like too much dogmom?
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

dogmom is offline Senior Member

It depends on the dog, the age and current blood values. If the dog has had pancreatic issues in the past, elevated lipase values ever and or if the dog is overweight, I would not use coconut oil, period. But that would be true of any high fat ingestable product. The dog that died due to pancreatitis was given a teaspoon twice daily with meals for about 2 weeks before becoming ill. This was an approximately 30# dog. Check with your Vet concerning your dogs blood values.

Quote Originally Posted by amazongold View Post
    What do you feed Hanna? Sometimes going with a grain-free food will alleviate the itchies and ear problems.
    I am currently feeding them Diamond Naturals- No corn, no wheat or soy ingredients, but I know there is brown rice in it.

I can definitely tell a difference with this new food, e.g. their stools are much less than before meaning they are using more of what they eat now.

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to living creatures cannot be a good man." - Arthur Schopenhauer

enzo is offline Member

FOR SKIN ALLERGIES= look my own personal experience. for any of the skin problems just give him/her 1 tea spoon of sulfur powder..(check on google: sulfur for dogs) and yea that too once in 6 months

it boost the immune system and is best for dogs with skin problems...believe me you will see amazing results..

FOR OILS= I Feed him 1 teaspoon of olive oil everyday and massage him with coconut oil once in a week....
    Olive oil is alot better for feeding..

Turns out that my dogs now dislike the taste of coconut oil in their food and have been refusing and skipping meals on me. Hanna sometimes gets an upset stomach and will skip a meal but Sam is very picky with his kibble and will not eat all of it if none at all. I'm more worried about Sam because he younger and pretty skinny right now. It's not uncommon for German Shepherds to be picky either.
    Last edited by Thesilentone; 05-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Tess has yeast infections something horrible so I have been feeding coconut oil. I recently heard not to give it if they have had pancreatitis as it is too fatty. Tess has been ok but if she started vomiting or other things not right I would stop it. She loves it so much every time she hears the jar being touched she races out all excited.

It has been great on the bald patches on her fur and sore spots where she itches.

I tried it on her coat one day and Erns spent half an hour chasing her around trying to lick it off. lol

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/