Switching Food

Thread: Switching Food

Nikki is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching Food

Hi All,
    When we got our pup, she was on a 100% raw diet. I have slowly switched her over to Orijen LB puppy. She has only been on it "full-strength" for a couple of days. Up until today her poops were firm - easy to pick. I am going to pick up some pumpkin this afternoon and give her some with her supper tonight. My first thought was that the Orijen was too high in protien for her but considering she has been on raw, I am not sure. So, perhaps it is the lack of fiber but then again, she was on raw...?

My vet wanted her on Royal Canin LBP but she wouldn't have anything to do with it and I wasn't all the crazy with the ingredients list. The vet was not a fan of the Orijen because of the calcium to phorphorus ratio. But, depending on what you read, the Royal Canin has too much Calucium (3%).

"...It is the absolute level of calcium, rather than the calcium/phosphorus ratio, that most influences skeletal disease.(11) Young, giant-breed dogs fed a diet containing 3.3% calcium (dry matter basis) and 0.9% or 3% phosphorus have significantly increased incidence of developmental bone disease. These dogs seem to be unable to protect themselves against the negative effects of chronic excess levels of calcium.(26) Calcium levels for a growth diet should be between 1% and 1.6% (dry matter basis)...."
    https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/hips.htm

Which leads me to my questions; what is the correct ratio for calcuim/phosphorus? Is it too soon to tell how she is going to do on the food? If not, can I switch her this soon?

I have spent hours researching and I am now more confused that ever. I realise that every dog is different and what works for one, may not work for another, but I am hoping that I can get some personal experience that might helps us get going in the right direction.

TIA
    Nikki

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    , the Royal Canin has too much Calucium (3%).
    From the Royal Canin site: Calcium (% min.) 1.02 which is perfect. This is on their RC Maxi puppy. My adults eat the RC Adult and are in the best shape I've seen them in years. I know many, many puppies on the RC Maxi puppy and they are developing beautifully.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it is incorrect.

Laura

Nikki is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby View Post
    From the Royal Canin site: Calcium (% min.) 1.02 which is perfect. This is on their RC Maxi puppy. My adults eat the RC Adult and are in the best shape I've seen them in years. I know many, many puppies on the RC Maxi puppy and they are developing beautifully.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it is incorrect.
    Hmmm. Ok, then I am reading this wrong? He wanted her on the Development LB Puppy. Surely the formulation wouldn't be different in the US?
    Minerals Amount
    Calcium (g/1000 kcal) 3.3
    Phosphorus (g/1000 kcal) 2.5
    Sodium (g/1000 kcal) 0.8
    Chloride (g/1000 kcal) 1.4
    Potassium (g/1000 kcal) 2.0
    Magnesium (g/1000 kcal) 0.2

Development Puppy Large Dog Dry / Veterinary Care Nutrition / Canine Nutrition / Veterinary Products / Home - RoyalCanin

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Unearthed is offline Senior Member

That's the actual amount, not the %. That says "veterinary exclusive." Kind of sucks when your vet pushes products...

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
    Hmmm. Ok, then I am reading this wrong? He wanted her on the Development LB Puppy. Surely the formulation wouldn't be different in the US?
    Minerals Amount
    Calcium (g/1000 kcal) 3.3
    Phosphorus (g/1000 kcal) 2.5
    Sodium (g/1000 kcal) 0.8
    Chloride (g/1000 kcal) 1.4
    Potassium (g/1000 kcal) 2.0
    Magnesium (g/1000 kcal) 0.2

Development Puppy Large Dog Dry / Veterinary Care Nutrition / Canine Nutrition / Veterinary Products / Home - RoyalCanin