Soft tissue damage from dog attack
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft tissue damage from dog attack

Lily is offline Member

UnhappySoft tissue damage from dog attack

My beautiful 4 year old lab spent several hours last night in the emergency vets office for what has been diagnosed as soft tissue damage to her right front shoulder area. She had X-rays, which were thankfully negative, but this morning she's still in pain and no one can sleep, including my wife, me, or our girl Lily.

She's on ultram as well as a canine cox-2 pill, which she finally took about 90 minutes ago. She had a pain/sedation shot given to her in the office. She's still very unsettled and has a breathy whine when trying to sleep with virtually every breath. As you can imagine, our hearts are breaking hearing this noise. She's been in great shape and gets two walks a day as well as regular swimming before the injury.

Back to the start, my wife was walking Lily on leash and was just turning into our driveway in a quiet suburb. Half way up the drive, Lily was allowed off leash, as is typical. She saw a squirrel run through our side yard and ran after it like she often does when it's safe, though she never catches them. This activity, however, aroused our neighbor's male lab who is an outside dog and he sprinted toward Lily and pinned her as she yelped, prone. My wife chased him off our pup, and after a moment or two Lily got up and came home. A little frightened, but seemingly no worse for wear. She was checked for wounds, including if he broke her skin with the bite, which didnt appear that he did. After time that night, she appeared her normal self. The next morning, normal as well. Ate her food, went for a walk, then settled in for a rest and a kong while my wife and I attended a friends wedding. We came home 5-6 hours later and Lily came to the door much more slowly than normal and with a limp.

So we're full circle now with my story. What has me concerned is that it took 20-24 hours for any symptoms to appear and that she's not doing especially better now 12 hours and a very long night after visiting the emergency vet. Today being Sunday, of course our regular vet is closed. I will take her back to the emergency if needed. It's not about the money it's about her health.

Am I worrying too much? Anything I should be paying attention to?

She took her pain and anti inflammatory meds this morning with peanut butter, but wouldn't touch her solid food. She drank a good bit of water on two occasions this morning when I held the bowl up to her mouth.

Thanks for your advice.
    Lily at 5 months old at Wrightsville Beach, NC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Poor girl. I would at the very least give the e-vet office a call this morning. Maybe they missed something? With those meds she should not be quite so uncomfortable. I would try to get her to eat something so the meds don't upset her belly. Try some rice and boiled chicken or ground beef to tempt her to eat. I hope she is ok and feeling better soon. Labs are pretty stoic so that amount of pain would definitely concern me. Good luck.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    Poor girl. I would at the very least give the e-vet office a call this morning.
    Take her temperature too. If it's elevated then she has an infection somewhere. Definitely call the e-vet, but after you take a temp.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lily is offline Member

Update: good news, she took about a half cup of kibble mixed with yogurt.

Bad news, she's still in pain and now has shallow, rapid breaths. I called the e-vet and person who answered phone said pain is typical with soft tissue damage, but we could certainly bring Lily back in without another visit charge if we need to. I'm leaning toward taking her in, as I'd rather be paranoid than doing nothing and potentially getting worse.

I keep thinking of the worst case scenario, and I really can't think what else could be wrong. Hopefully she's just scared and that's the reason for the rapid breathing.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    . I'm leaning toward taking her in, as I'd rather be paranoid than doing nothing and potentially getting worse.
    trust your gut. did you take her temperature?

Laura

Lily is offline Member

At vet now. Temp is 102.5, so slightly high. It was slightly higher last night when we were here so its improved a bit.

What has gotten worse is there is now visible bruising under her black hair near her right front shoulder. Doc manipulated her arm at various joints and it wasn't until she got the shoulder area that Lily winced. We're also running bloodwork (Cbcs, I believe) to rule out something like a tick borne illness. Doc doesn't think that's the case, but worth my peace of mind to rule out and she doesnt like that its taken so long for bruising to be apparent.

She's likely going to increase Lilys pain meds because my girl is in a lot of distress.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am glad you took her back in, it is worth the peace of mind. Just make sure you get something in her belly with the anti-inflamatory drugs. They can upset their belly pretty easy. Hope she is feeling better soon, sending good thoughts a soft nuzzle and prayers her way. Please update when you get a chance.
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for Miss Lily.

I have never thought about visible bruises on a dog. Poor girl, I hope the additional pain meds help.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Shelley is offline Senior Member

The shortness of breath concerns me, is her breathing labored too? The shoulder and chest wall are close together, I wonder if there is any chance that the dog bite punctured between her ribs and she has a pneumothorax? Did they take a chest x ray at the E vets?

Watch her tenperature closely, and like Labby said, trust your gut if something doesn't seem right.

Lily is offline Member

The thought it her breathing gets shallow because of the pain. They upped her tramadol from 2 every 12 to 3 every 8. They're also giving me a backup pain med to take home to give Lily in case the increased tramadol doesn't do the trick. Also give a short course of antibiotics just in case there is a puncture wound that we don't see. They shaved the area of the wound and no obvious punctures, tick bites, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast