Eating large amount of mown grass.

Thread: Eating large amount of mown grass.

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

DefaultEating large amount of mown grass.

I have posted frequently about Mardi's compulsion to eat almost everything she can get into her mouth and I have a new concern. I mowed the fenced acre yesterday and my property is on a continuous slope. The bottom third of the acre was very wet and even had some standing water. Mardi loves to play in the water but, hey, she IS a Lab. She was not outside while I was mowing but when I later let her into the acre she found numerous clumps of discharged heavy, thick "patties" of grass mixed with mud and water. Also, the garden tractor wheels kick up some of these clumps. The wet ground is a stress to the machine but if I don't mow often the area becomes overgrown. I have to scrape clean the deck after each use or I burn out a belt. These grass patties will continue every time it rains. Raking is not a possibility at my advanced age. When I had four Siberians out in the acre one of them would eat a few of the patties and it didn't make her sick. However, Mardi constantly eats non-food items and I am concerned about how many of these patties she gulped before I noticed what she was doing. I haven't let her loose in the acre since then and that is a shame because she runs happily all over the space and then settles down to play endless fetch with me. Does anyone know if eating large amounts of mown and muddy grass is a danger to her?

Nancy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I struggle with the same issue. I have 4-5 acres that I mow and, working as much as I do, it can get pretty tall before I get it mowed. Consequently, there are large clumps of mowed grass that the dogs seem to relish. While I have not had problem yet, my dogs are ecollar trained, and I am frequently yelling "leave it"! Not only because of the blockage possibility, I also worry about moldy grass clumps and that toxicity issue.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Put a bagger on your mower? Not a great solution for a big property but we bag ours in order to keep the grass clippings from being tracked into the house.

No, it's not good for her to eat large amounts of anything. That grass can cause an obstruction and it can be very, very gassy. Not from your mower gasoline gas, but fermented gas. More of a problem if it's piled up in heat too but some amount of fermenting may occur in her stomach. You may be in for some mega belching, vomit and/or diarrhea.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NanM is offline Senior Member
    Conquest, NY--near Syracuse and Lake Ontario.

Unfortunately, using a bagger, which I would have to buy, would mean I couldn't watch how well the mower is discharging. It binds up very easily and I have burned belts in the past. This is a real bummer because Mardi gets fabulous exercise in the acre. I am going ahead with a plan to reduce the acre by 1/3 to free myself from mowing the bottom third that is most wet. I have a total of 5 acres and a local farmer grows hay on the unused 3 acres. When I can get someone here to move the fence from the lower edge of the acre up a third, the farmer will take over the unused part. Once he sows that area all he has to do is mow the hay when it is dry enough to cut and bale. Fortunately, I live very near the town park and also close to several miles of maintained trail (actually the old tow path) along the old Erie Canal so we can at least walk there when the grass is too wet.

Nancy

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would be very concerned about blockage or toxic effects.

poopypuppy is offline Senior Member

Grass is natures alkaseltzer for cats and dogs. But since it's alot more than just nibbling on large blades of grass....I would be concerned.
    Last edited by poopypuppy; 04-28-2013 at 12:00 AM.