UTI vs ectopic ureter?

Thread: UTI vs ectopic ureter?

Penny&Me is offline Member

DefaultUTI vs ectopic ureter?

Penny is 12 weeks old. Over the last two weeks she has begun spotting urine occasionally, it has only happened on about 3-4 days over the two weeks, so it's not constant, but still worrying.
    A week after we brought her home I thought she may have cystitis - she was wanting to urinate every ten minutes but not always passing anything, squatting and attempting to urinate several times when we took her outside, and also whimpering when tryin to go. These symptoms cleared up completely after 24 hours and I didn't think anything of it.
    Her symptoms now (on the days she is showing them) are: spotting/dribbling urine when walking around, wanting to go out to toilet literally every ten minutes, squatting to go but not always passing anything several times when she is let out.
    I think I did the worst thing and googled her symptoms and now I'm paranoid she has something serious such as ectopic ureters. I'm hoping it's just a UTI but the dribbling urine doesn't seem to fit the symptoms of that. I've tried a forum search her for ectopic ureters but it didn't turn up much.
    I have a vet appointment for her tomorrow morning and I'm going to take along a urine sample, I'm hoping it's going to be something simple like a UTI but Im really worrying.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

I don't but my sister does with her dog. Long story short the dog wears diapers. She is constantly getting UTIs, been on a lot of antibiotics, had surgery and still no solution.

Ask your vet and I hope it does clear up.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Hopefully it is just a UTI, they are common in female pups. Do a search on the forum for inverted vulva. There is some really good info from about a week ago I just do not remember what area it is in. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-24-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So we had our vet appointment earlier. Analysis of the urine sample I took in showed protein and blood in the urine, indicating an infection. She is now on 7 days of antibiotics and has to go for a recheck with a new urine sample when finished. I'm glad it's nothing complicated but I am worried that the infection might not clear up with these tablets.
    I think I'm just being a paranoid first time puppy mum!!

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Depending on what antib. the vet gave you 7 days may not be long enough. Be sure to wait about 3 days after meds are finished to take in a new sample so you don't get a false negative from meds masking the infection.

Its also best to collect first urine of the a.m. prior to any food or water and in mid stream

What you describe sounded like a UTI, not EU.

If she is having constant UTIs have you checked her for a recessed vulva? Here is my blog with pic to compare.

Recessed/Inverted Vulvas and Chronic Infections | Hearty Pet Talkin' Tails Blog

She's been given synulox which is just a broad spectrum antibiotic. I'm guessing if that doesn't clear it up they'll do a culture so they can prescribe a more specific antibiotic.
    I've read about recessed vulvas before and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have one.
    I think I'm just being really over protective and paranoid as, although I've worked with dogs for years so am fairly confident I know my stuff, I've not actually owned a dog myself! It's so different when it's your own!