switching to adult food

Thread: switching to adult food

kelleytaylor29 is offline Junior Member

Defaultswitching to adult food

My chocolate lab Timber just turned 7 months old on April 20th and is 84lbs at 4 months the vet said he should be switched to 1/2 adult food. When should I switch him to all adult food? he eats Blue Buffalo puppy and adult food mixed together.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kelleytaylor29 View Post
    My chocolate lab Timber just turned 7 months old on April 20th and is 84lbs at 4 months the vet said he should be switched to 1/2 adult food. When should I switch him to all adult food? he eats Blue Buffalo puppy and adult food mixed together.
    At that age he doesn't need to be on any puppy food. He can be on 100% adult. Not sure what your vets rationale is for doing part puppy....

That's a very heavy 7 month old puppy, BTW. How tall is he?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

He stands maybe a little over 2 feet tall... he has bypassed my 7 year old so fast. he is think we walk 4 miles once a week and 2 miles a day 3 more times a week so about 10 miles a week. The vet 1/2 his food because his poop was very hard on just puppy food and for how rapidly he was growing. The vet says he is growing like a great dane

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

He should be off puppy food now.
    Actually, judging by his weight at 7 months, he probably should have been off puppy food at 4 months...it would have slowed his growth down a little bit and moderated it. You really don't want them growing that fast-it can cause joint issues.

84 lbs at 7 months is ALOT for a puppy with bones/joints that are still growing and developing. It's really going to put a strain on those joints and may cause problems in the future.

Crystal87 is offline Senior Member

Okay, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I want to ask...

Jaxx is 4.5 months and weighs over 50 pounds (not sure the exact weight, but I know he was around 50 the last time I took him to the vet). When should he be switched to adult food? My vet said it was 'okay' to keep him on it for the first year of life, but based on research I had done that didn't seem like what is usually recommended.

I just want to make sure that I'm taking good care of him. Thanks!

Jaxx - 12/5/12
    Missy - 12/29/12

Thanks for the input will def be switching timber over because at 4 months he was 43 pounds he gained 20lbs between 4-5 and ten each month untill now. The vet never said anything about joint problem they were just amazed on his growth

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal87 View Post
    Okay, I'm not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I want to ask...

Jaxx is 4.5 months and weighs over 50 pounds (not sure the exact weight, but I know he was around 50 the last time I took him to the vet). When should he be switched to adult food? My vet said it was 'okay' to keep him on it for the first year of life, but based on research I had done that didn't seem like what is usually recommended.

I just want to make sure that I'm taking good care of him. Thanks!
    He should be switched now.
    My girl Java was 55 lbs at 5 months....at which time she developed pano (growing pains essentially).
    We needed to slow her growth down so we switched her to adult food then.

nicole is offline Senior Member

It really depends on what type of puppy food you're feeding. I feed regular puppy food so I switch early to control growth, but if you're feeding large breed puppy, it's made to control growth so can be fed until actual adulthood. If there's a breeder involved with these dogs, I'd run the question past them.

Silktap is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by kelleytaylor29 View Post
    He stands maybe a little over 2 feet tall... he has bypassed my 7 year old so fast. he is think we walk 4 miles once a week and 2 miles a day 3 more times a week so about 10 miles a week. The vet 1/2 his food because his poop was very hard on just puppy food and for how rapidly he was growing. The vet says he is growing like a great dane
    It is the opposite of what your vet stated. It's because of the high protein in puppy food that dogs have a tendency to grow too quickly thus not allow ample time for the joint pockets/sockets to keep up and then you stand the possibility of joint issues. Your dog is the less than 5 percentile in growth and weight. All my puppies when they were 8 weeks old one 35 pound bag of puppy food and when that was done I would usually move on to regular food. There is ample protein, fat, and nutrients in regular adult food for any puppy. My 9 month old is at 100 pounds now and he is in the same percentile. Once you change over to adult food and stools seem very hard just add a little fish oil (Omega Fatty Acids) and your little big guy should be fine!