Grain Free, Chicken Free Treat Alternatives

Thread: Grain Free, Chicken Free Treat Alternatives

Jujubean1 is offline Junior Member

DefaultGrain Free, Chicken Free Treat Alternatives

Hi everyone! Looking for some thoughts on grain free chicken free treats. Dawson eats Fromm Beef Fritata since he has a food allergy to either grain, chicken or both. We purchased some of Fromm's grain free treats, which he likes, but at $6 for a little bag, I'm looking for alternatives.

We use the peanut butter frozen in the kong trick and he LOVES ice cubes (though I feel a little guilty giving those as a treat! ha ha ha!) but looking to see if you have any other ideas.

Are veggies a good idea? I know it's healthy, but will it teach him to beg for people food?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh, Dawson is 4 months old in case that helps cause I know he can't have antlers yet, and 38lbs (clearly that food allergy isn't slowing him down).

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

is fromm beef grain free appropriate for a 4 month old puppy? i thought it was not?

look for dehydrated single ingrediant treats. cheese works great too
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Poor Koivu doesn't get many treats these days, but you can check the Zuke's dehydrated treats, they may be a little less expensive, but not sure.
    I also give dehydrated hearts (expensive) and Orijen is now making grain free treats as well. I've also bought the Stella and Chewy's patties and broken them up for treats.
    As far as vegetables - I do give carrots and lettuce, as well as cooked sweet potatoes.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Vegetables, green beans, carrots, apple slices, etc are fine. You can also use dehydrated beef liver. I bought a dehydrator for this and dehydrate everything from chicken, beef, fruits, etc. It is worth it's weight in gold! I don't know for sure about the grain free for the puppy but do know members that have used it without issue. Hopefully those with better nutritional knowledge can give you some insight, I believe it is frowned on unless allergies are so bad there is no alternative. I do know Pam, (sophies mama) started Sophie on grain free fairly early. Perhaps you could PM her. I would also check with your breeder. Good luck.
    Last edited by tammyhuffman; 04-23-2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
    Tammy
    Maxx & Emma Jean
    Ozzy - 10/16/02 - 06/28/11 - Always in my heart.

Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go - but learning to start over.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

Fruit and veggies are great for them. My girls love baby carrots.
    You can also look for K9 Granola Factory Grain free Crunchers-they have Beef, Salmon & Duck flavors.
    My girls love them.

Just a question-why grain free at 4 months old? That seems young to me.
    My girls are on all grain free also, but I didn't start them on grain free until they were a year old.

DefaultThanks!

Hi All! Thanks for the feedback. He's on grain free now because we're 98% sure he's allergic. It's either grain, chicken, or both. The vet signed off on the food and it came as a recommendation from the people at the pet food store (the one we use is not a chain store, and no one that works there is a high school kid with a part-time job...they are all really knowledgeable and spend a great deal of time with us helping us figure it all out.)

Just to give you an example of his allergy, Dawson went on Saturday for his last parvo and a check up and the girl behind the counter gave him 1 small (quarter sized) treat before I could stop her (gosh i feel like a jerk when people want to give him a treat and I have to say no) and he got "the runs" Sunday. Now he's fine again. I called to see what the ingredients were...chicken livers and wheat.

We're still learning what he can eat and what he can't but rest assured, he's gaining weight! 38 lbs and counting.

What is the concern about the grain free at this age? Just the nutritional value?

Again, thanks so much for the help!!

Dog Paddle is offline Senior Member

Veggies are fine and he won't learn to beg if you don't associate them with your own dinner plate or table.

Apparently more dogs are allergic to beef than chicken these days. Big surprise to me when my Vet suggested we avoid it for a while but internet readings checked out it was so. If beef is ok though you can buy roasts on sale, cook, cool, cut, freeze. Much cheaper than store bought treats and you have control over the ingredients. If you leave the bits spread out on a cookie sheet exposed in your freezer for several weeks they'll be almost dehydrated.

You shouldn't feel like a jerk for watching out for your pup. And was that last episode at your Vet's? Even worse for Vet staff to do that, they of all people should know better. It is nice for him to have a good experience at the Vet's though, so take your own treats for them to give him.

Thank you Dog Paddle! Yeah I don't think the girl behind the desk had the full story about his allergies so she didn't know, and I just didn't stop her in time! I have read about the beef allergy first, then chicken, then grain. We were initially skeptical about the beef food for just that reason! From what I understand however I guess if it's a higher end beef, it's less of an issue cause it's the beef fat that's a problem? I don't know if I'm getting that right. All I can tell you is, on the Beef Fromm, the little bumps on the insides of his ears are gone, as is the "poops" ha ha ha, so I don't think beef is an issue with our little guy!